Thursday, October 12, 2017

Old Dutch Ad – Oct. 19, 1967

Seeing as I mentioned the Bascule Brewery & Public House yesterday, it's a good time for another post about beer – namely, Old Dutch, my parents’ favorite beer.

My posts about Old Dutch continue to generate new comments years after their original appearance on the blog. So in honor of the long-gone brew’s many fans, here’s another vintage ad found in the pages of the Journal.
My last post noted that the classic label design featuring the elderly couple had been restored in 1966 by International Breweries of Detroit, the brand’s new owners. The ad above – which explores the well-known Old Dutch tagline – ran in the Lorain Journal on October 19, 1967 – 50 years ago this month.

I still like the fact that Old Dutch had such a humble marketing positioning statement: “the Good Beer.”

I would probably drink Old Dutch today if it was still being produced, mainly because of the nostalgia. But until Old Dutch is brought back, I guess I’ll have to stick with Rolling Rock or Black Label. (I realize, of course, that I'm in a tiny minority, in view of the general public's growing preference for artisan beers these days.)

The photo in the 1967 Old Dutch ad is amusing in its depiction of other brands, with words like ‘unbelievable’ or ‘wow’ on their (obviously fake) labels.

No comments: