Monday, June 8, 2009

McDonald's comes to Lorain


Remember this guy? He's Speedee - the original 1950s hamburger-headed mascot of McDonald's and the symbol of their speedy service. (Speedee was eventually replaced by another mascot named Archie McDonald, who was replaced in the mid-1960s by another mascot, a fella named Ronald McDonald.)
   For years, Speedee adorned a magnificent blinking sign at the McDonald's down at 2500 West Erie at the end of Leavitt Road. I can still see it in my mind's eye, even though both the sign and McDonald's have been gone from that location for many years.
   The McDonald's on West Erie was the first in the Lorain area, appearing in the Lorain phone book in 1960. Despite my fondness for the McDonald's mascot and sign, I don't think my family ever ate there very much, if at all, when I was a kid. And where did my family go for fast food burgers? Stop back here tomorrow and I'll tell you!
   I'll give you a hint, though: if you were wearing a kilt, you'd be right at home in this restaurant!

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

When I was in grade school, my Ma would sometimes take us to that McD's for lunch; I always got the fish sandwich then, because the burgers all came with everything.