Thursday, June 18, 2009

Forgotten Fast Foods: Casey's Drive In



I don't remember ever eating at Casey's Drive In as a kid, although I was certainly aware of it, as it was located across from Westgate Shopping Center at 2519 21st Street. The restaurant first appeared in the phone book around 1968, with locations at 1390 N. Ridge Road (across from O'Neil's) and at 4835 Liberty Avenue in Vermilion. The 21st Street store in Lorain followed in 1969. There were Elyria locations as well.
   The ads for this chain are interesting, because the Elyria phone book ads featured a photo of a real live "Casey" dressed in an old-time baseball uniform leaning on a bat, and the Lorain phone book ads featured a cartoon ballplayer mascot holding up a hamburger. I liked the cartoon mascot a lot, but apparently not enough to eat there!
   I haven't been able to find out much about the restaurant chain. It probably was a regional endeavor... but I'll keep Googling until I find something.
   Although Casey's was not in the same league as McDonald's, the chain must have had a pretty successful formula. The 21st Street store lasted almost 20 years, finally closing around 1987. Pine Gardens restaurant replaced it at the location and is still in business today.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the same "Caseys" that had corny TV commercials in the mid 70s or was that another chain?

Anonymous said...

I lived down the street from the one in Elyria I loved there hamburgers it's now a gyro house.

Unknown said...

I grew up on West River st in Elyria and remember when Caseys was up the street and was still living there when it became the Gyro House. Seeing this brought back a lot of good memories of how Elyria used to be compared to how it is now.

Unknown said...

I lived on Huron St. in Elyria... I remember 4 or 5 chili dogs for a buck.

Wombats said...

The first Casey's was located across from the Sheffield Center on 254. I began working there in 1963. A Mr. Ken Everson from Vermillion was the owner and Sid Carillo was the manager. Hamburgers were $.15, cheeseburgers $.19, french fries $.12. Majority of the employees went to Clearview High School. Worked there from 1963 to 1965. Expanded the busniess by building additional Casey's in Elyria across from Elyria Foundry, 21st in Lorain, Vermillion, and one down from Westgate Shopping Center in Lakewood.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Lorain near the 21st. street location. It was one of my favorites. They featured a single, double, and triple on their menu. I loved the double. The best I remember it, it was a double burger, somewhere between a Big Mac and a Big Boy. I actually think about that burger from time to time and I'd love to know just how that sandwich was made.

Anonymous said...

Did this chain ever have one in Bowling Green in the late 70s - early 80s?

realfunny7 said...

i worked at the 254 in 65 i was 16 ray roberts & sid collea were managers - i was there until 18 went to ford quit there went back to casey's my dad almost killed me lol

Anonymous said...

Worked at the 254 store 1963 to 1965
for Sid and Ray flipping burgers
1966 went in the Air Force
Received orders to go overseas had to take 40 days leave. Stopped to say hi to the old crew Ray asked if I would work while on leave yo make extra money.So I worked my ehole leave. THANKS CASEYS

SwissCelt said...

Yes, believe that was the same one. The restaurant was still there in the early 90's, but it's gone now.