Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Monster Cereals Walk Again!

Now available at Target – Big G Monster Cereals with cool retro packaging
If you were a big fan of the original General Mills "Monster" cereals – Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry – back in the 1970s, then hurry over to Target this week. General Mills (Big G) has created great retro versions of these three cereals, as well as the newly revived Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy. All 5 cereal boxes feature the original, classic designs, and they're only available at Target.

Late 1970s in-box record giveaway
(D. Brady collection)
Here's the story, right from the Big G blog.

I don't remember Mom ever buying any of these cereals when I was a kid. Maybe the unholy trio of Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry just didn't fit in with our Kellogg's lifestyle.

But heed my warning: Despite the cool boxes, Fruit Brute (now spelled Frute Brute) and Yummy Mummy taste pretty monstrous – and almost indistinguishable from each other. (I oughta know – I choked down a box of each recently.) But the other three are fairly enjoyable, especially if you've been eating them for years like me.

My favorite of the Monster Cereals? Boo Berry, because of his great Peter Lorre voice. 

Here's the little ghoul's debut commercial.


What's your favorite Monster Cereal?

2 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

No question....COUNT CHOCULA!
It was actually chocolatey enough to make chocolate milk in your cereal bowl.

Dan Brady said...

The Count must be counting how much chocolate he puts in his cereal now, I just finished a box of CC last week, and my bowl of milk was as white as a er, uh, ghost (not Boo Berry)!