Thursday, September 12, 2013

Lenny's Drive-In Ad – Sept. 7, 1957

Here's another ad for Lenny's Drive-in on Oberlin Avenue at W. 38th Street (which I first mentioned back here). The ad ran in the Lorain Journal on September 7, 1957 – 56 years ago this month.

According to the ad, there were two other Lenny's outlets besides the one in Lorain – one out on Route 113, and the other at the intersection of E. Broad and Abbe Road. Does anybody out there remember any of these?

I'm still intrigued that this drive-in was located next door to the present-day Mutt & Jeff's.

Anyway, the ad makes a pretty convincing case for Lenny's jumbo hamburger, on special all month for a mere 25 cents. The ads quaintly suggests serving them at showers, parties, and clubs. (I think if more jumbo hamburgers were served at showers, many women wouldn't hate attending them so much – at least my spouse wouldn't.)

By June 1965, the Sandy's Thrift and Swift Drive-in had opened just down the road at the Lorain Plaza Shopping Center. Their hamburgers were a mere 15 cents. But by then, Lenny's and its successor drive-ins at that location were gone anyway.

3 comments:

Mike Kozlowski said...

Dan,

How long did this place last? We moved to 37th and Ashland in '65, and at that point Mutt and Jeff's was already the Sherwood Inn, but darned if I don't remember Lenny's.

Dan Brady said...

Hi MIke, fellow Masson School Student! Lenny's was gone by '62 or so and two other drive-ins after that tried their luck at that location, but were gone by '65 or 66 and replaced by DeLuca Bakery.

Sharon Kribbs Hornis said...

I'm so glad to see Lenny's mentioned in your blog, Dan. This is the first reference to it that I have seen. In 1955 my parents bought a house on the 3800 block of Oberlin Ave. I can't remember if Lenny's was already there -- where Rite Nau Beverage now sits and next to Airport Tavern -- but I don't think so. However, I have fond memories of walking across the street with my friends and getting a hamburger, fries and a drink. I seem to remember that they served milkshakes too. If Lenny's closed around 1962, I had to be 10 years old or younger when I went there. The next business I remember on that site was DeLuca's, but if there were drive-ins that succeeded Lenny's, perhaps they simply did not leave enough of an impression upon me to remember them. Thanks for validating some of my fond childhood memories! (Oh, I attended Charleston Elementary for one year then entered Masson Elementary the year it opened. There was no Junior High at the time.)