Wednesday, November 28, 2012

1950s Citizens Home and Savings Christmas Club Ads

I just opened my 2013 Christmas Club account recently (I'm running a bit late as usual), and remembered that I had these old ads. Both are for The Citizens Home and Savings Association and its Christmas Club program.

The above ad ran in the Lorain Journal on November 24, 1955 and includes some nice typography, some great illustrations and a photo of the bank.

The below ad is from two years later and ran in the Lorain Journal on November 28, 1957. It includes an interesting bushy-haired, stylized Santa. Actually that's his 'bed head' look since he just got up.


Strangely enough, one of the banks that I do business with – Fifth Third – is in the former Citizens building (below). I like going in there and chatting with Val, Krystal and the rest of the gang.


The bank did a nice job of branding the building as their own. To me, it looks like a bank should!

My Christmas Club account, though, is still over at good old First Federal Savings of Lorain (as I pointed out here).

1 comment:

Jerry said...

My long-time N. Hogan Drive neighbor Edna Black worked at CH&S. Sitting on my desk here in Washington, DC is one of the bank's 1950s aluminum counter calendars manufactured in Tulsa, OK. I can send you a photo is you want to post it.