Monday, July 29, 2024

1961 Ohio State Fair with Huck, Yogi & Charlie Weaver

I was thinking the other day how it might be nice to go to the Ohio State Fair this year. It's been quite a while since I've been to one. Then I discovered that the Fair is already in progress, running from July 24 to August 4th. So the first weekend of it has already come and gone.

I'm still used to the Fair running much later in the summer. I was down at the 1976 Ohio State Fair for the entire run, first as a member of the All-Ohio State Fair Band, and then for a few additional days playing in the All-Ohio State Fair Stage Band. During that whole time I stayed with the other high school musicians in the barracks at the Rhodes Center (originally called the Youth Center).

Being in the All-Ohio State Fair Band was one of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences of my life. (I wrote about it back here and here.) So I'm a little sentimental about the Fair.

Anyway, back in 1961, the headliner at the Ohio State Fair was none other than comedian Cliff Arquette, better known as his alter-ego Charlie Weaver. 

In later years, he was one of the stars of the TV game show Hollywood Squares. But in 1961, he was known for his regular appearances on the Tonight Show hosted by Jack Paar.

Also riding high in popularity in 1961 were Hanna-Barbera's cartoon stars Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear, who also appeared at the Ohio State Fair that year. Each was the star of his own TV show at that time. I'm curious as to what kind of show they put on. It was probably something like this appearance in April 1961 in Los Angeles. 

(Gee, I would have thought Yogi was taller than Huck. He looks about as big as Boo Boo.)

The article (below) which appeared in the Journal on August 22, 1961, describes the upcoming Ohio State Fair.

What's nice that year is the Journal honored the area high school musicians that were heading down to the Fair for the All-Ohio Boys Band. 

As you can see, the Band used to consist of all boys. The first year I applied (1975) was the first year that girls were in the Band – and I didn't make it that year. Thank goodness I did during my last year of eligibility.
As I noted in my two posts about my time as a member of the Band, it was the first time away from home for me and many of the other high school musicians. At first we were all a little homesick. But by the time of our last concert on the lawn of the Rhodes Center, kids were bawling that it was all over.



2 comments:

Don Hilton said...

Band opened a lot of opportunities: Regional, State. I got enough marching at skool, though. Too much work. I was a sit on your butt outta of the sun kind of musician.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

"Yogi Bear is smarter than the average bear
Yogi Bear is always in his underwear...".