Friday, February 23, 2024

"Lorain's Meanest Man" – Feb. 23, 1924

One hundred years ago today, this was the front page of the Lorain Journal on February 23, 1924. The vantage point of a century always seems to have at least a few things of interest.

The headline story about impeachment proceedings against Attorney General Harry Daughtery somewhat demonstrates that things haven't changed that much in Washington, D. C. in the last hundred years. (If you want to know what that was all about, here's the link to the Wiki entry about Daugherty.)

But the most interesting article is the one about "Lorain's Meanest Man." 

So who was this meanie? According to the article, "he is the man who yesterday afternoon in a downtown department store, struck in the mouth a 12-year-old newsboy, unfortunate enough to ask him, "Paper, Mister?"

"He is the same man who, a few seconds later, while the boy stood crying in the corner, his spirit broken and his lip bleeding, flung, with an angry oath, into the face of the young girl clerk, the money in payment for an article purchased."

One hundred years later, the whole thing would have been captured on someone's cell phone, and an angry mob would have held him until Lorain's finest arrived. And a judge would have given him a creative sentence, perhaps carrying the newspapers for a week for the injured young entrepreneur.

Anyway, other items of interest on the page include: the two articles about streetcars (one above the other), with one about an accident at Reid and 20th Street, and the other about streetcars being replaced by buses in Akron; a story about Lorain's booming economy; a notice about a meeting of the Lorain County Beekeepers' association, which is still around today (here's the link to its website); and another "Abe Martin" comic panel.

An interesting item at the top of the page reveals that the Lorain Journal "wired Henry Ford suggesting that the new freighter which he will come here to christen within the next two weeks be named THE CITY OF LORAIN." As it turned out, Henry Ford was unable to come to Lorain and the ship ended up being named "Henry Ford II" anyway.

****

I'm still getting over monkeypox whatever it is I've got, so I haven't been able to devote a lot of time to the blog. Since I got sick on a holiday (Groundhog Day), maybe I'll be back to normal on St. Patrick's Day. In the meantime, I think it's time for another banana.

15 comments:

Don Hilton said...

Hope you get to feeling better!

A person shouldn't monkey with their health!

Drew Penfield said...

Take care of yourself, Dan. Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Down here in Nashville we call it "the 100 day cold". I got it around Thanksgiving and it did last 100 days. Hope you get better soon. Homemade chicken soup is what got me through! Take care Dan. Todd

Dennis Thompson said...

Get over to PJ McIntyres for a full Irish breakfast. That will get you in the St Paddy's Day mood and the calories will kill a cold. Or maybe the Guinness will. Mmmm, haven't had one in a while myself.

Anonymous said...

Get better Dan,you might have what they call Long Covid.I guess it lingers for months.I personally haven't had the Virus or any of the shots since it invaded the country over 4 years ago.So I must have a pretty good immune system,knock on wood.

Buster said...

Guinness for breakfast? Haven't tried that!

Best wishes, Dan!

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the get well wishes, everyone. It started out like a head cold but turned out to be bronchitis. Then thanks to the sinus aspect of it, an ear infection kicked in that I can't shake. Antibiotics are helping but very slooooooowly! Until then, I can't hear out of one ear too well and they both 'pop' every time I swallow. Ugh!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Praying for you.

Don Hilton said...

Ear infection?

When I was little, my old, Italian neighbor always applied his sure-fire cure for those. He'd take his favorite pipe, fill it with his strongest tobacco, and fire it up. Then, he'd stick the stem of the pipe in the hurty-ear, blow into the bowl, and send all that hot smoke down your ear canal. The heat felt great, and we'd get so whacked-out by all the nicotine that we'd forget about the ear for a while.

Gramma, on the other hand, she'd heat dry salt in a pan, wrap it in a handkerchief, and have you hold it against the hurty-ear.

Now, if you can't find an old Italian neighbor or a Gramma, I use heat on mine, one of those cold-hot pack warmed in hot water wrapped in a thin cloth. I also pinch my nose closed and "pull a vacuum" for several seconds at a time at the back of my throat using the base of my tongue. It helps to clear out those Eustachian and get some fresh air into that whole mess!

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the home remedies, Don. I'm hoping the antibiotics and Mucinex do the job. I've also revived the time honored Brady tradition of reliance on Vicks products, even bought a vaporizer. I have the little Vicks stick you jam up your nose too (my young co-worker saw me snorting it and thought "What's Dan doing with that chapstick?" until I explained what I was doing.

Don Hilton said...

There's also the one where you put a dead rooster and 7 cracked buckeyes in an empty, 20-pound flour sack, twirl it over your head while hopping up-and-down on the foot on the side of your hurty-ear while singing Ob-la-dee Ob-la-dah backwards at 78-speed.

IF you try -that- one, please video it 'cause the rest of us sure would like to see!

Buster said...

Don - Sounds like something you saw on Tik-Tok.

Don Hilton said...

This will help.
'Cept it has to be faster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3OI2f3WYU

Buster said...

Now you're adding nausea to his (and my) afflictions.

Anonymous said...

Feel better cuz!
Btw..just think of all the interesting articles our grandfather knew of while working at the Journal.