Monday, February 19, 2024

Al Capp's Column Comes to the Journal – Feb. 1961

One of the recurring themes on this blog is the death of newspapers in the modern era. It changed the American way of life for the worse, and society has suffered for it, becoming much less informed. 

And I experience the melancholy and regret every time I post a page from the Lorain Journal of the past.

Capp and his famous creations
I've mentioned several times how reading the Journal each evening was a ritual in our house after dinner. Dad sat in the living room and seemingly read every page, top to bottom. Mom sat at the kitchen table after dinner and read whatever sections Dad was done with.

As for me, in the late 1960s I remember bringing in the Journal (after the paper boy delivered it in the late afternoon) and sneaking a peek at what was going on in Li'l Abner by Al Capp – especially when the story concerned "Fearless Fosdick."

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that for a time, Capp wrote a humor column for the Journal. It's pretty impressive, considering that besides producing Li'l Abner and running the huge organization merchandising the famous characters, Capp was also involved in a few other comic strips behind the scenes. But it makes sense, seeing that at that time, Capp was one of the country's greatest satirists.

Here is the announcement on Feb. 17, 1961 that the Journal would be carrying his new three-days-a-week column.

And in that same edition of the Journal, the paper wasted no time in drumming up some hype for the new column by inserting some tiny ads throughout its pages. It's kind of fun seeing these ads surrounded by well-remembered Lorain businesses.

On Feb. 18, 1961 the Journal ran this large ad.
On Feb. 20th, 1961 this ad ran.

And here are a few samples of the column. The first one is from the first week the Journal carried it.

Feb. 22, 1961
I like Capp's idea about judging a man by the type of necktie he wears. According to Capp, since I preferred to wear the same tie to work for years (a navy blue one), I was a coward and a sneak, who should be kept away "from the petty cash, the car-keys and your daughter."

And here's one from about a year later (March 10, 1962).
It doesn't appear that Al Capp's column was a long-term venture. It seemed to disappear from the Journal's pages by the summer of 1962.
I was too young to remember any of this, but when I was older and working in Cleveland, I enjoyed the syndicated column by Mike Royko in the Plain Dealer. I liked Royko's easy to understand style of writing. Later, I enjoyed the columns of Bob Greene.
Today, I don't subscribe to any newspaper – preferring to occasionally pick one up at the newsstand (whichever looks most interesting). Unfortunately, humor columns seem to have been one of the casualties of these humorless times for newspapers.
****
Li'l Abner and Al Capp have been the subjects of many of my blog posts.

6 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Although I was a faithful L'IL ABNER reader, I don't remember Mr. Capp's column; do remember reading STRANGER THAN SCIENCE by Frank Edwards, and occasionally Count Marco and Dr. Crane. In the Seventies, I enjoyed the Sydney Harris column, especially when the topic was "Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things".
Now, all they are is dust in the wind.

Don Hilton said...

Did not know of this side venture by Mr. Capp. Sure did like L'il Abner, even before I understood the politics of it, especially Moonbeam McSwine and her ilk.

Sort of like Pogo. I read it long before I knew what the characters were actually talking about.

Buster said...

I remember Al Capp but not the column. I see nothing here that would justify Steinbeck's assessment that he was "the greatest satirist since Laurence Sterne." (Not that I have spent any time considering Laurence Sterne's manuscripts, mind you.)

The most fascinating thing I found in these clips was the recipe for a chipped beef breakfast. The prospect of that meal would be enough to make anyone crawl back to bed and hide under the covers.

Anonymous said...

Alan,I like your analogy of the song Dust In The Wind from Kansas comparing how the column's are gone now.But I can see Freddie Mercury singing Another One Bites The Dust with his 200 teeth too.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Buster,
I agree that the two Al Capp sample columns don't reflect the creativity that he exhibited in "Li'l Abner," in which he poked fun at society, the military, big business, the entertainment world, etc. I wonder if he was just looking for another outlet to keep busy (as he had assistants helping with "Li'l Abner.")

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Speaking of "L'il Abner"...
https://youtu.be/7j1FFdhkmEM?feature=shared