Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Palm Ave. Model Home Ad – Sept. 7, 1963

Here's yet another of those new home ads, designed to appeal to a 1960s housewife.

"IT CAN'T BE BEAT' reads the headline of this home located on Palm Avenue near its intersection with Fairless Drive in Lorain. But strangely, the ad neglects to list the builder or any of the home's amenities; only the 'cash investment' ($65) and monthly payments ($89) are indicated.

I like the illustration of the woman, dreaming of her new home. Back then, a brand new split-level home or ranch would indeed have seemed like a luxury to someone who grew up in a house built in the 1920s or earlier (like my mother). 

Nowadays, it's hard for first time home buyers to find new or newer developments similar to those built in the 1960s. They're still out there (Lorain has a few on the west side), but you're not likely to find a ranch or split-level design as the featured style. Tastes have changed, and everyone wants bigger.

Our ranch on Skyline Drive was fairly cramped when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. But by the 1980s, Mom and Dad were empty-nesters and the house was the perfect size for them, right up to the end.

Anyways, the house on Palm Avenue is still looking pretty good these days, and hopefully is someone's 'dream home.'

Courtesy Google Maps


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about anyone else but to me,I like a ranch house or a split level.With a full finished basement.Preferably with a 2 or 3 foot exaggerated roof overhang.And I like that roof to be low too.With brick planters and fireplaces throughout the house.On a couple of acres for privacy.And with a 1960 Chrysler sitting outside in the driveway.That,to me is a modern futuristic house.But today the latest style is going back to the ticky tacky little boxes 150×50 foot lot cookie cutter designs.

Don Hilton said...

I'm in a '50s ranch that we demo-ed the interior of and built a brand-new house inside. No basement so no stairs--all ready for my HoverRound (tm). 3' overhang on roof - the sun never hits the outside walls in the summer. And I can reach the gutters with a step-stool. On an acre with big maples and oaks. We don't even know we have neighbors.

But we removed the fireplace and ain't got no '60 Chrysler, neither, so I suppose it's not perfect.

It's pretty close, though.

Anonymous said...

I like the old style wood paneling of older houses.It looks rich to me.I also like breeze block fences.But pretty much any place that has a breeze block today is in a run down area.Vintage is in baby.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

A friend of mine grew up in a ticky-tacky little house in a ticky-tacky Avon Lake neighborhood, with generally ticky-tacky attitudes. I always thought it would be fun to buy one of those houses, paint it deep space black with blood red trim, and cover the windows with gold Mylar, just to mess with their heads.