Monday, September 18, 2023

Lorain Sunday News Front Page – Sept. 17, 1950

It's always interesting to sneak a peek at the front page of a Lorain Sunday News, the weekly that provided Lorainites with an alternate journalistic take of the local happenings in the 1940s and 50s.

The above front page is from September 17, 1950 and includes an article about Norman C. Muller and the small traction car that he built for his sons' amusement that turned out to be a source of joy for many visitors as well. 

As the article notes, "Mr. Muller's ability to provide an unusual home playground for his two small sons, Robert and Carl, has earned the plaudits of visitors from every state in the Union, and a few from other countries.

"The small "Toonerville Traction" car pictured above has an honest to goodness electric drive, tracks and trolley. It can be safely operated by any one from one to 99 years old.

"Other items produced for the Muller sons, neighbors and friends include a mechanized and electrically driven merry-go-round, built out of Model A parts; a three-wheel tractor built out of bicycle and washing machine parts.

"The Mullers welcome visitors to their home and keep a guest book record of all who stop to see the products of a father's love for his own two boys."

I did a three part series on Norman C. Muller's Arlington Traction Company attraction/museum at the intersection of what is now South Broadway and Cooper Foster Park Road (where Broadway Assembly Church is located). You might want to revisit Part 1 (here), Part 2 (here), Part 3 (here) and a final post (here) with some great photos of the Toonerville Trolley.

****

Elsewhere on the two pages shown: an ad for Lorain Cab and Dick's Taxi (decades before Lyft muscled in their turf); an ad for Stone's Grill; random jokes sprinkled in among the articles; and a plea for a Civilian Defense Unit for Lorain by the city's Safety Director. (I assume he was successful, as within a few years Lorain had its own civil defense tower.)

5 comments:

Buster said...

Oh sure, Norman C. Muller could make a tractor out of bicycle and washing-machine parts. But could he make a washing machine out of a bicycle and a tractor, and then wash my clothes? I suspect not!

Don Hilton said...

Jealousy is *such* an ugly thing.
It's one of the 7 deadlies, y'know. ;]

Buster said...

I beg your pardon, but not so. Sloth is far and away my favorite. That's why I never made an airplane out of a lawnmower and old folding chairs, as was my plan.

Don Hilton said...

Noted...

I wonder, do you have a favorite among the seven heavenly virtues?
In case you don't know them (not that I'm casting aspersions because so few do), they are: humility, charity, chastity, gratitude, temperance, patience, and diligence.

Buster said...

Don,

I read your murders and mayhem in Lorain book and there would seem to be precious little virtue exhibited around these parts, at least until you and I came on the scene (leaving Dan and all his commenters aside, of course!).

I would say that diligence and temperance are probably my best-practiced virtues, patience and charity my least. As for a favorite, if they are all esteemed in heaven, who am I to choose? Also, behavior is more indicative than espousal, I think.