Friday, July 7, 2023

Realty Ads – July 1963

Back in the early 1960s, Lorain and the surrounding communities were experiencing a major growth spurt.  World War II veterans had started families, which meant that new homes, schools and roads were needed. Consequently, the Journal was full of ads spotlighting the new housing developments that were replacing farmland.

Many of these ads were designed to appeal to the young housewives, as if to say, "Picture yourself in this beautiful new neighborhood." Here's one for Candle Lite Park out in South Lorain, which ran in the Journal on July 6, 1963.

That's some big hair on the young woman in the ad!
Candle Lite Park had only announced its Grand Opening in February 1963 (which I wrote about here). Other developments with the same "Housewife in Paradise" theme included Rock Creek Run
But not all new house ads took that approach.

Here's an ad that ran in the Journal on the same page (and the same day) as the ad shown above. It's for Timberlanes in Vermilion.

I guess you'd call this the "Tree-hugger" approach. As the ad notes, "We Really Save The Trees At Timberlanes."
"We have trees in the heart of Timberlanes and we have homes in the heart of trees, on large 80 ft. lots surrounded by greenery, within walking distance of the new Valley View Swim Club, the New Valley View School, several Marinas, Camp Valley View."
It's a pretty convincing argument.
Trees on a lot are pretty nice. I had 16 of them surrounding my house in Sheffield Lake. But I cursed each fall, when I would rake or mulch the blanket of leaves that, when bagged, resulted in more than a dozen bags at the edge of Route 6 in front of my house each week.
Anyway, what interests me most about the Timberlanes ad is that I suspect the illustration was done by our old pal Gene Patrick, of "The Passing Scene" fame. It just looks like his style to me. He would have been just a couple years away from launching his well-remembered comic strip.


3 comments:

Don Hilton said...

$13,990 in 1963 is $139,043.68 in 2024 dollars.
$20,000 in 1963 is $198,775.82...

Fairly good prices for a brand new home.

According to https://247wallst.com/state/this-is-the-average-cost-of-a-home-in-ohio/

The average cost of housing in Ohio, right now, is $186,211
For Lorain County, it's $202,941 - I'm happy I already have mine!

But I dunno about that lady in the first ad - she looks kinda like somebody from Dark Shadows that you wouldn't want to invite in for a visit.

Anonymous said...

I wish the new developers would leave some mature trees in their neighborhoods. The developments look fantastic, but without trees, it just doesn't seem like a neighborhood yet. Being that I am looking for my downsized retirement home, I suppose a newer home is out of the question since it takes 20-25 years after they build them for the newly planted trees to grow and I don't have 25 years left to wait.

Anonymous said...

This article reminds me of a movie from 1957.It's called "No Down Payment".It was about a bunch of married newlyweds who live in a newer modern ranch house type development.It starred Joanne Woodward,Jeffery Hunter,Sheree North,Tony Randall and a few others.It shows how life was in the California suburbs and the problems they faced.Sort of like Leave It To Beaver meets Peyton Place.It's worth a watch if you like to see how American life used to be.