Friday, June 30, 2023

60th Anniversary of St. Peter's Dedication – June 30, 1963

Sixty years ago today on Sunday, June 30, 1963, St. Peter Parish held the dedication of its new home on Oberlin Avenue in Lorain on the growing West Side. Above is the two-page spread that ran in the Journal on the eve of the celebration.

In addition to a Special Dedication Mass and ceremonies, the festivities on Sunday included an appearance of the Knights of St. John Marching Band, the dedication of a plaque by Italian American War Veterans and a dance featuring music by Jimmy Dulio. Tours of the church continued from Monday the next day through Thursday, with a special Fish Fry on Friday.

Even though I'm not Catholic, it would have been impossible for me to grow up in the West Side of Lorain and not be impressed by the beauty and size of the St. Peter campus. It seemed to dominate the Oberlin Avenue streetscape, especially since I saw it every time I pulled out onto Oberlin Avenue from W. 35th Street. Many, if not most, of my Catholic classmates at Masson attended St. Peter's as well.

One of the girls that I was interested in during high school worked there in the office. I remember riding my bike to an entrance behind the church to visit her, where there was a beautiful grotto fountain. I think it impressed me, since I was used to the more spartan surroundings of the church we had been attending. I later went to a few christenings at St Peter's over the years.

Anyway, a hearty congratulations to St. Peter Parish on the anniversary of its dedication.


3 comments:

Mike M said...

Both of my sons went to St Peter's for grade school. No complaints, it was a nice school with a good staff and gave them a good start in their elementary years. My mom's side of the family still has their family reunion in the pavilion area behind the school/church every July. Building still looks good after all these years.

Mike Kozlowski said...

...My mom and dad were married at old St. Peter's, and I had my first communion, confirmation, and a few baptisms and funerals there. Glad it's still going.

Mike

Anonymous said...

I remember the “old” St Peter’s church on 17th St. in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Rode my bike past the church on my way to Ann’s mkt for baseball card bubble gum. Todd