Monday, October 17, 2022

Lawson's Cider Ad – October 5, 1962

Fall is my favorite time of year. The fall foliage in Lorain County has been really nice lately (although I haven't had much time to go out and enjoy it, beyond what I see on the way home from work). 

I also love the whole autumn ritual of heading out in the country and buying bags of apples from the people who grew them, as well as half-gallons of their fresh cider. I've already had some terrific apples and cider from Miller Orchards, and I just picked up some Honeycrisp cider made by Burnham Orchards. It was pricey, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

Speaking of cider, that particular seasonal beverage is the focus of this ad for Lawson's that ran in the Journal back on October 5, 1962 – sixty years ago.

The ad copy notes that the cider was "rich with the juice of Baldwin, Winesap and Delicious apples from Ohio's orchards," and that Lawson's was picking it up "fresh at nearby cider mills, bottling it in our Dairy plant, and rushing it to our stores – keeping every jug constantly chilled to protect that country-fresh flavor."

At least it sounds like Lawson's was selling Ohio cider. I won't even consider buying Giant Eagle brand cider, even though it's probably regional product (since Giant Eagle is based in Pennsylvania). 
We have a lot of orchards selling cider around Lorain County, and last year I probably tried them all (Rex Gees, Hillcrest, Burnham, Miller, etc.). I won't say which was my favorite, but they were all good – and I counted 6 or 7 cider empty jugs under my sink by the time Christmas rolled around.
****
Apples, orchards, cider and even Johnny Appleseed have been regular topics on this blog.

4 comments:

Mike M said...

Agree Dan, Fall is my favorite time of year as well. We take a drive out to Hillcrest Orchards on Rt 113 every year to buy some honeycrisp apples. When the kids were little, we did the hayride, picked our own apples, and got lost in the corn maze. Best time of the year, throw on your favorite sweatshirt and enjoy the beautiful Fall colors in Ohio!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

We used to buy glass gallon jugs of local cider from the fruit and vegetable man, really great stuff, from Speigelberg, if I remember correctly. The supermarket cider can't touch it.

Don Hilton said...

Several decades ago, I grew poisoned-dog-sick after drinking cider.
It wasn't the cider that did it, but my brain tied the two.

Apple = fine.
Apple juice, clear = okay.
Apple wine = tolerable.
Apple cider, cloudy = oh, h3ll no!

I try it, every few years, in hopes that that I've recovered. But no.

The only other thing that's happened with is Ouzo.
But that was the Ouzo's fault!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Burnhams Orchards pricing being a little higher.It's not like they have to pay their family members a high wage as they all own the place.And you just know all the "illegal immigrants" they hire to pick the apples aren't making any money because if they complain, Burnhams will just have them reported to ICE and deported back to Mexico.You can see them all living in little hot house type cottages in Berlin Heights.Nope,it has to to be good old fashioned American exploitation and greed.