Monday, March 28, 2022

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb – 1962

Well, March is winding down.  That almost always seems to provoke at least one local TV meteorologist into mentioning the old adage about March weather, and how the month comes "in like a lion and out like a lamb.” 

The analogy doesn’t seem to be the case this year. It seems like we’ve been all over the place weather-wise this month, with lamb-like weather a few weeks ago. And as I look out the window while writing this, there are several inches of snow that fell overnight, after an unpleasant, windy and cold Saturday.

Anyway, here’s a great vintage ad with an unusual graphic treatment of the well-known weather folklore about lambs and lions. It’s for Sheffield Lake’s Shoreway Shopping Center and it ran in the Lorain Journal back on March 1, 1962 – sixty years ago this month.

I just love that old clip art. I’ll bet a lot of cartoonists made a good living supplying artwork to the Harry Volk company, who published themed books for paste-up artists (like I used to be) to create an ad.

There are several of those books on eBay right now, and they’re not cheap.
Shoreway Shopping Center (a reoccurring topic on this blog) is one of the few of its kind from the 1950s that is still doing fairly well. I bought many a Little Caesar pizza there while I was still living in Sheffield Lake.
Over in Lorain, Westgate is still in the process of being redeveloped. The overhang that used to protect shoppers from the weather was removed, and the whole parking lot received a new blacktop treatment last year. I wish the owner well in his efforts to revive it. Here’s a recent photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the new owner of the Westgate Plaza going to do with it?Put in some new tennants?I hope it can make a go of it.But the market is pretty saturated with retail buildings.I don't see how Westgate can find its own place in the market.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

We lived across from Westgate back in '66-'67, and one of the first jobs I ever had was carrying groceries and rounding up shopping carts at Pick-N-Pay; I still bear a scar on my right thumb from where it got slammed between two carts.No stitches, no ER trip( this time). Some of today's kids would be in counseling until they were forty over something like that.