Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Thanksgiving at Lawsons – November 1971

Fifty years ago, having Lawson’s prepare Thanksgiving dinner was one of the options for families that didn’t want Mom to spend all day in the kitchen.

No, I’m not talking about picking up a sumptuous ready-made feast of Dutch Loaf sandwiches, a bag of chips, a container of Lawson’s Chip Dip and a half-gallon of milk. 

I meant going out to enjoy a fine meal at Lawson’s Family Restaurants.

Below is an ad that ran in the Journal back on Nov. 23, 1971.

You might remember that I wrote about the Lawson’s Restaurants back here. The one in our area was located at 900 N. Leavitt Road in Amherst (the same building that Denny’s is in today).

The menu looked pretty good for that 1971 feast: roast turkey with dressing, broasted chicken, baked ham with raisin sauce, deep fried rainbow trout. After all, everybody doesn’t like turkey.

For side dishes: whipped white or baked sweet potatoes; mixed vegetables.

And, of course, your choice of pumpkin pie, apple pie or an ice cream sundae for dessert.

The ad didn’t include an address or phone number, so I hope nobody accidentally made the trek to a regular Lawson’s. They might have had to settle for some turkey loaf sandwiches, washed down with a glass of Big O Orange Juice.

2 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I never went to Lawson's Restaurant, but I spent a lot of time in the Seventies and Eighties at the local L&K Restaurants with my friends, generally drinking cup after cup of coffee.
"Hanging out
Down the street
Same old thing
We did last week..."

Anonymous said...

I like the big stylized L in the name.It reminds me of Shirley and Laverne.