Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Midway Mall Halloween Ad – October 1970

Back in October 1970, Midway Mall was promoting the fifth year of its Halloween Costume judging event for boys and girls up two age twelve. 

The above ad ran in the Journal on October 28, 1970.

It’s interesting that even after being open for four years (since September 1966), Midway Mall was still being advertised as “Ohio’s Showplace Climate-Controlled Mall Shopping Center.” It hadn’t quite wiped out Downtown Lorain or O’Neil Sheffield Center yet.

Speaking of Downtown Lorain, I still have pleasant memories of the annual Halloween window painting contest. I remember one year during my Masson days, my best childhood chum and I had the task of painting a store window with our design. I remember his father drove us Downtown in their Volkswagen Beetle and how cramped it was inside. I don’t remember that we won, but it was fun.

No comments: