Thursday, June 4, 2020

939 Broadway’s Broadcast Past

Broadway Mary’s (which opened back in February, according to this Morning Journal article) is the newest business to call 939 Broadway home. There have been many others over the past many decades.

So who were some of the other tenants of the distinctive building?

A 1975 ad from the
Amherst News-Times
Well, for me the building will always be the home of radio station WLRO 1380 AM, since it was located there throughout the 1970s and until the station was sold in 1984. I always thought it was cool to drive by the building when WLRO was in there, knowing what was going on inside.

Who doesn’t remember listening to Jim Allen and his sports report about local teams, recognizing the names of fellow classmates?

(By the way, amazingly, Jim Allen still covers local sports on Kool Kat Oldies 1380, the successor station to WLRO. I even ran into him at the Apples grocery store in Lorain a few weeks ago.)

Anyway, I wrote about the many other companies that were located at 939 Broadway (including a printing company, a computer repair company and various nightclubs) back here on this 2015 post. And this post revealed that 939 Broadway was also the address for Lorain’s Tucker dealership.

Here’s hoping that Broadway Mary’s enjoys much success and community support. Here’s a link to its Facebook page.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly I think you wrote about this location being a Tucker Automobile dealership back in '47-'48....I highly doubt that any brand new Tuckers were ever in Lorain at this location....But it would still be cool to see photographs of the dealership...Would anybody from the Lorain Historical Society like to chime in?...Maybe they have some pictures,or know someone who has some of that location?

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Household Finance Company (HFC) is the first business I remember being there.
If I was downtown in the Seventies, I'd sometimes pop in at WLRO to say hi to the jocks... good times.

Dan Brady said...

You’re right about the Tucker dealership, thanks for pointing that out. I added the link to that post in case anyone else was interested.