Thursday, April 16, 2020

A Corny Conundrum: Kellogg’s Corn Flakes or Post Toasties?

I have many antiques scattered around my place, including a vintage box of Post Toasties dating back to the early 1960s. That’s a photo of it above; it sits on top of my refrigerator. Hopefully there’s no 1960s vermin inside, waiting to get out.

Seeing the box, however, led me to pose this question to you, my readers: which corn flakes did your family prefer – Kellogg’s Corn Flakes or Post Toasties?

William K. Kellogg is credited with the idea of toasting flakes of corn for a breakfast cereal in 1894, while he was in the employ of his brother John Kellogg at the Battle Creek Sanitarium. The cereal became so popular there that William Kellogg launched the now famous company to sell Kellogg’s Corn Flakes to the general public.

Post Toasties, on the other hand, was a rival toasted corn flake cereal created by C. W. Post (who coincidentally had been a patient at the Battle Creek Sanitarium).
Courtesy Hakes.com
Through the decades, the two corn flakes battled it out in the cereal aisle.

Kellogg’s was unquestionably the leader in breakfast cereals. Over the years, the company marketed its hugely popular flagship product using a variety of tactics, including using an attractive “Sweetheart of the Corn” on the box and in ads, like the 1919 one below.

Even Hanna-Barbara cartoon stars like Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear were enlisted to promote the cereal in the late 50s and early 60s (when Kellogg’s was sponsoring their programs).


Meanwhile, Post was merely a division of General Foods. Consequently, its cereals did not have the advertising budget of Kellogg’s, and were not marketed as aggressively or successfully.

While Kellogg’s sponsored the Hanna-Barbara programs, Post threw its money behind The Bugs Bunny Show. (Within a few years, however, Post had its own cartoon menagerie, which I’ll discuss tomorrow.)

The Post Toasties cereal box seemed to be in a constant state of redesign. Post couldn’t decide whether the Toasties name was strong enough on its own, or if it was necessary to stress that they were corn flakes.

1950s design
1960s design

1970s design
But while very similar products, the two corn flake rivals were slightly different in taste, texture and shape, with the result that consumers might prefer one over the other.

Kellogg’s Corn Flakes are light, crispy and somewhat fragile. They seem to break apart more easily than Post Toasties, which were thicker and more rounded on the edges.

Note that I spoke of Post Toasties in the past tense. Yes, the second oldest original Post Cereal (only Grape Nuts are older) was discontinued back in 2016.

So which did my family eat? We were more of a Kellogg’s or General Mills family than Post, so Kellogg’s Corn Flakes was probably one of the cereals Mom kept on hand for her and Dad. It wasn’t until decades later – when Dad was retired – that Post Toasties were the preferred corn flake in the Brady household.

Anyway, be sure to leave a comment as to which corn flake your family preferred, so I can draw some corny conclusions.

****
Cereal continues to be a favorite topic on this blog, with past posts devoted to Rice Krispies and Sugar Crisp.

11 comments:

Raisin said...

Our family was Team Kellog’s and Special K.

Anonymous said...

The Corn Flakes vs. Toasties battle was just the preliminary bout. The main event was Kellogg's Honey Smacks featuring Dig'em Frog vs Post's Super Sugar Crisp featuring Sugar Bear. I believe it was Kellogg's that copied the recipe this time around as Sugar Crisp was introduced first.

Buster said...

We would partake of either variety, but usually Kellogg's. I liked pretty much any cereal so long as it wasn't Grape-Nuts, which was and is like eating gravel.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

If I was eating corn flakes, they would be Kellogg's, although my all-time favorite cereal (pre- Cap'n Crunch,of course), was Coccoa Krispies. YouTube has a couple great CK commercials featuring Snagglepuss.
A lot of times,the purchase of us kid's cereal was based on the prize in the box.

Dan Brady said...

I like the analogy of the ‘main event’ being Sugar Smacks vs Sugar Crisp! And the commenter is correct, Sugar Crisp predated Sugar Smacks. By the way, I vaguely remember when Quick Draw McGraw was on the Sugar Smacks box, and Snagglepuss was on Cocoa Krispies.

Anonymous said...

Post Toasties "1 all time favorite #2 Kellogg----RIP Toasties ---

Anonymous said...

I remember my Grandfather and Grandmother in an argument whether he could distinguish the difference between Post Toasties and Kellogg Corn Flakes, if he were blindfolded! He was adamant that he could tell the difference -- and my Grandmother was just as adamant that he could NOT! I've smiled many times over that memory (circa 1955, or so) and always wondered if she ever put him to the test, which I wouldn't doubt! That said, I believe my Grandpa would have prevailed. Reading this blog brings back fond memories -- and makes me hungry for a bowl of corn flakes, but sadly, it won't be Post Toasties brand.

Anonymous said...

We were definitely a kelloggs corn flakes. But also general mills cheerios nabisco shreed wheat and we quaker puffed oats

Anonymous said...

I am glad the writer mentioned similar but never exactly, there was a distinctive taste to post toasties which I enjoyed and now 50years later can say with all honesty that post toasties definitely was the better and if sanctions had not stopped marketing in South Africa I would immediately convert back to Post toasties, I am of the impression that the post toasties might have a hint of vanilla and a definate slightly more substantial taste

Anonymous said...

The comment section is filled with comments preferring Kellogg’s, but I always preferred Post Toasties for their crunchy texture & toasted flavor. Im sad that they are gone now, & I wish they’d come back every couple of years so that I could stock up. I have never tried a brand of corn flakes that tastes as good to me as Post Toasties.

Anonymous said...

Post Toasties were hands down our favorite. The flakes were crunchy and didn't get soggy quickly like Kelloggs.