Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Lusca’s Pizza

Lorain has long been blessed with several family-run pizza parlors specializing in the real thing, with recipes straight from Italy.

It’s incredible just how many there were in the city during the 1960s and 70s. Although some cities might only have one or two dominant businesses, Lorain had at least a half-dozen longtime favorites, each with its loyal fans.

I’ve written about Yala’s, Selenti’s and Rosie’s here on the blog, mainly because I’ve eaten a lot of each of them over the years – and still do. Happily, they are all still around, along with Eliseo’s and Giovanni’s. Together, they help make Lorain the Pizza Capital of Lorain County.

I’ve also written about D’Agnese’s, Chicken Delight Pizza, and a family-run pizza joint in Avon called The Pizza Hut (not the national chain.)

But there is one well-remembered Lorain pizza that I never tried, although I have heard great things about it: Lusca’s. It was suggested as a topic here on the blog in a comment left a few weeks ago, and I thought it was only right to give it a little attention since so many people loved it.

Lusca’s first showed up in the Lorain City Directories in the 1955 edition. The original address was 2940 Grove, although by the time of its next listing it was at its longtime home at 2853 Broadway.

The original names attached to the listing were George and Mary Rufo. Within a few years the listing changed to Mrs. Mary and John Rufo.

A short history of the business appeared in Mary Rufo’s obituary at the time of her passing in 1990. It noted, “She and her husband attended a pizza-making school in Chicago and returned to open Lusca’s Pizza. Mrs. Rufo operated Lusca’s Pizza for 26 years, from 1954 until she retired in 1980.”

Here’s a great 1957 phone book ad featuring Mary.

1957 Lorain Phone Book Ad
As a Lusca’s fan noted in a comment left here on the blog, Lusca’s was ahead of its time in that it was one of the first pizza places in Lorain to offer delivery. The commenter observed, "They had a couple of brand new Volkswagen Bugs in the early 60's to do their delivery in."
Indeed, while other pizza parlors promised that their pizzas would be ready when the customer arrived, Lusca's was still the only one advertising delivery in its telephone directory ads in the early 1960s.
Here’s a simple phone book ad from 1961.
After Mary Rufo retired, Lusca’s Pizza apparently carried on for a few years, appearing in the city directory until its listing disappeared in the 1988 edition. The building was later acquired by its neighbor, American Slovak Club, which demolished the building sometime around 2009.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lusca's had pepperoni that was sliced long.And it curled up when cooked.Super delicious.Their sauce had a very good taste to it.And if I remember the pizza was actually cooked till it was brown.Not like today where everybody wants their pizza raw and dripping with cheese. It's been a long time since I had their pizza but toward the end of them being in business I remember they cheapened the pepperoni and did away with the long cut style and just used regular round pepperoni slices.But it was still good.Somebody,some relative,somewhere has to have the old Lusca's recipe around.I wish I could get it.

Anonymous said...

Lusca's was my favorite. Wish I could get one today!

Anonymous said...

Nice post Dan,

I was a Yala's regular (still am, just brought a half baked back to Jackson, MI last week). But we would have Rosie's and Lusca's from time to time. Both very good (better than anything I can get In Jackson). Anyway, I remember Lusca's would put the toppings under the cheese but I may be thinking about another shop. Anyone else remember that?

Chuck, Jx, MI

Anonymous said...

Yes,the toppings were under the cheese.But I think you could get the pepperoni on top if you requested it.I also remember inside the pizza shop.It was like a big long wall.On the right side as you went in you would just lean or sit on a small railing waiting for your pizza to be made.Simply delicious.

Anonymous said...

Long cut pepperoni underneath browned cheese.Nice and thick pizza sauce.Made for an exquisite pizza experience.Does anybody know if there are any descendants of Lusca's still living in Lorain today?With the right personnel they could've become like Donatos did out of Columbus,Ohio.

Unknown said...

WHERE WAS THIS LOCATED?

Anonymous said...

Lusca's was on the southeast corner of 28th and Broadway in Lorain.Just between the BP Gas station and the American Slovak Club.It's been torn down for the last 10 years.....Just like everything in Lorains history it's nothing but a memory now.But what fond memories they were.

Anonymous said...

Lusca's had the best pizza - used to get it twice a week. Just like you guys said, the toppings were under the pizza - we used to ask them to brown the cheese a little more than usual - it was great. And the pepperoni was super thick and cut long - the top would poke out of the cheese and get brown and crispy. It was amazing. They closed in late 1987. Lois is still lives in Lorain I believe. Still think about that place. Mary was a friend of my mom's. Went over to her house one night and she made Puerto Rican rice - she could have opened a business just for that - was good as their pizza. Never be anything like their pizza. Closest to their recipe I have ever been able to find is Eliseo's.

Bill Marquet said...

I always thought Lusca's Pizza rivaled Yala's Pizza in taste..I also remember there delivery vehicle was a little yellow Volkswagen Bug..I ate a lot of Lusca's Pizza in the late 1950's.

Anonymous said...

Luca's pizza was my aunt Mary my mom sister, in 1950 she started the first pizza house in Lorain where Giovanni's is today,then she moved around 1953 if I'm not mistaken to Broadway, that was my grandma's sweet dough recipe the sausage and pepperoni cut long on a bias, probably the cleanest place and Lorain as far as a business that serve food never of bad Mark by the Board of Health and that's when the Board of Health really inspected you, my second cousin also owned yalla's , I can still make the dough and have the recipe I got to say one of the best pizzas in Lorain ever

Ginny (Rusine) Gancar said...

We still dream about Lusca’s pizza after so many years. While living in Erie, PA and visiting my family in Lorain, we used to carry boxes of Lusca’s pizza back home. Most of our family is now living in the Southwest and we still dream of that special dough. Would anyone be willing to share the recipe?There has never been anything like that sweeter than usual taste.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know Lois's last name or where she lives now. I heard she moved to Florida. I sure would like to contact her and get the recipe for Luscas pizza. I would bring it back to Lorain in a minute. Best pizza ever.

Anonymous said...

Best Pizza In Lorain Back In The Day.

Anonymous said...

My favorite pizza place growing up in Lorain!