Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Paul & Bill’s Sinclair – April 1957

Here’s an ad for a service station located at an intersection that I’ve written about before. The service station was Paul and Bill’s Sinclair, located at Ohio Routes 58 and 113.

Paul Cuenin and Bill Bodnar had taken over operation of the service station located on the southwest corner of the intersection and were holding an open house of sorts. The ad for the big event ran in the Lorain Journal on April 11, 1957.

The ‘get acquainted’ event featured all sorts of prizes, including a large boneless ham and free gas. The ubiquitous Anchor Hocking glasses were also given away at the event. (J. F. Medder was giving away the same glasses at his Sinclair station in Sheffield Lake in 1957, as was Bill Thomas at his Lorain Sinclair station.)

By 1962, the service station had become Bob & Bill’s Sinclair Service. Within a few years after that, it became just plain Bob’s Sinclair.

It appears that Bob ran the station for many years, switching to the Arco brand in the 1970s and Marathon in the 1980s. It remained open right into the 1990s, when its address was officially listed as 46005 Telegraph Road.

Today, the former service station at Routes 113 and 58 is shuttered.

Courtesy Google Maps

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in my husbands stomping grounds. He thought Paul and Bill ere brothers. Cleared that up. A gas/service station in your area I remember seeing riding to church was the Texaco at Oberlin and 21st currently an empty lot. Texaco had a fun jingle "you can trust your car to the man who wears the star" which I would be humming to myself through church. Rae

Dan Brady said...

Hi Rae!

That jingle was stuck in my noggin too from watching too many Bob Hope specials!

Anonymous said...

We had a Sinclair station across from our house at Washington Ave and 16th street in Lorain. I believe Mr. Lee was the owner. I remember getting green dinosaur shaped soap along with the free glasses. I would push our lawnmower across the street and Mr. Lee would fill up the tank, I think it cost maybe .20. Todd

Anonymous said...

Wow ~ did that bring back memories! My Grandmother lived just south of there on rt 58....they always had "premiums"...and I remember collecting the animals and the Ark for the Noah's Ark Premium!

Kendra