Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sloppy Joes at the Hoop Drive-in – June 14, 1960

Here's an ad for the Hoop Drive-in Restaurant chain, which has been featured on this blog many times. It ran in the Lorain Journal on June 14, 1960.

I thought it was kind of interesting that the Hoop served Sloppy Joes. What restaurants serve Sloppy Joes these days?
I Googled this intriguing question, and the answer was: Maid-Rite. Guess it’s time for a road trip! (Or, I suppose I could buy a can of Manwich, or a jar of my favorite: Not So Sloppy Joe Sloppy Joe Sauce.)

While cleaning this ad up in Photoshop, I almost mistook the wavy line representing a delicious aroma under the chef’s nose for one of the ubiquitous pieces of fuzz that manage to make it onto the microfilm glass (and consequently my image).

The best thing about this ad is that it reminded me to put Sloppy Joes back on the Brady menu.

2 comments:

Dennis Thompson said...

Maid-Rite sandwiches are the best reason to visit Iowa. I always thought of them as "almost a sloppy Joe" as there is no tomato sauce in them. The seasoning is cooked into the meat. But they can get sloppy, so close enough! There is a Maid-Rite shop in Greenville, Ohio.

Dan Brady said...

My mouth was watering when I saw the photo on their website!