Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Hoy-Lo-Mae Allotment – 1941

I lived on the East Side of Lorain for almost ten years during the 1990s.

401 Nebraska Avenue
in the early 1990s
While going through the process of buying the house at 401 Nebraska Avenue,  I remember looking over the paperwork and seeing the words, “Hoy-Lo-Mae” on a layout drawing of the street.

"Gee, our subdivision has a cool Indian name!” I remember thinking. (More on that later in this post.)

Shortly after moving in, I was told by a neighbor that the house was probably built by O. A. Hafely. I later discovered it was.

That’s why the small item below, which appeared in the June 28, 1941 Lorain Journal caught my interest. It reported that a new allotment, to be known as the Hoy-Lo-Mae allotment, was announced by O. A. Hafely, Lorain contractor and real estate dealer.

It describes the allotment as being west of the Euclid allotment, and south of E. Erie Avenue, with 162 sites available for home building. All lots were 50 feet frontage with trees to be planted in front of each.

It also noted that “outlet to E. Erie-av will be thru Euclid-av to the east and Nebraska-av on the west.”

On the same day as the article, this ad (below) appeared in the Journal as well.
Anyway, it turns out that the Hoy-Lo-Mae allotment did not owe its name to an Indian tribe that roamed the East Side of Lorain before the White Man came and cut down all the trees. The explanation for the unique name appeared in the "Log of Lorain" column in that same Lorain Journal on June 28, 1941.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of an episode of How I Met Your Mother where they looked at a home in Do-Win-Se-tre-pla. The allotment I grew up in was Crehore allotment. Rae

Dan Brady said...

When I first heard of Hoy-Lo-Mae, I thought of Camp Iss-See-Kes!