Friday, November 20, 2015

Grand Opening of the Hollywood Bar – November 25, 1947

A view of 3001 Elyria Avenue this week
I’m sure many people pass this building (currently home to Carter Funeral Homes) without knowing much about its past.

In May of 1954, it had just become the Lorain Youth Center, (which I wrote about back here). But before that, it was the Hollywood Bar.

Below is the Grand Opening announcement for the Hollywood Bar that ran in the Lorain Journal on November 25, 1947 – 68 years ago this month.
I was unsuccessful at finding out anything about the floor show acts that performed at the Hollywood Bar's Grand Opening, since there wasn't even a tiny internet footprint for any of them: singer Rosalyn Danna, dancer and singer Lorna Chester, Rudolf the Magician, and Charley Brown and His Orchestra.

I’m thinking that perhaps they were locals. Does anybody recognize any of the names?

3 comments:

Bill Damm said...

My grandparents lived in the 3000 block of Denver Avenue. I don't see a method to upload a photo, but I've got an old shot glass from the Hollywood Bar from Grandpa...

My great aunt lived on Caroline and used to rent her garage to Mr Carter to store the hearse. Creepy...

Anonymous said...

Another nicely designed building, the awning makes it stand out. The clock in the window is kind of a morbid touch........

Wireless.Phil said...

Used to be a lot of old nice bars, then idiots made them modern. Installed sports TV and loud music, so loud no one has a drink and talks anymore.
Hate the new places.