Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Greetings from Lorain Postcard Update

A few weeks ago, it was discussed in this blog as to whether or not anyone still sells postcards that promote Lorain.

Well, it turns out at least one place still does: the Black River Historical Society! They have a nice selection, including their version of the classic 'Greetings' format shown above (in which they have craftily inserted the Moore House – their home) as well as others including one featuring the Lakeview Park Easter Basket.

The above postcard design is also available in their gift shop as a large jigsaw puzzle.

The coming weekend would be a great time to drop in at the BRHS. On Saturday, May 21st they are having a big 30th Anniversary Celebration. According to their website, the activities are from 1 pm until 6pm and include Trolley Tours for $1, a Scavenger Hunt, goodies for sale (popcorn, cotton candy, ice cream and soft drinks) as well as a "Through the Years" PowerPoint presentation.
****
Incidentally, here's yet another "Greetings from Lorain" postcard variation that surfaced! It's a little on the generic side, though. And I'm a little skeptical that those are real Lorainites in that boat! 



3 comments:

Randall Chet said...

Well at least the fish are Walleye - not Trout!

Dan Brady said...

Hi Randall!

I was hoping someone would positively I.D. those fish--all I knew is that they weren't bluegill!

Randall Chet said...

Hi Dan - looks to me like a late 50's, early 60's boat. I remember my father and I taking a little 14' aluminum boat with an 8 horse motor out of Vermillion to go after Walleye. I think we rented the boat at Riser's marina. We never seemed to do very well - and my father always seemed to have trouble getting those old motors to idle down to trolling speed. This was before the big Walleye boom in the 80's and the era of drift-casting Erie-Dearies. Still fun though and what I wouldn't give for another fishin trip with Dad.