Friday, June 4, 2010

Carlisle Drive-in Gala Opening 1955


Gee, my drive-in movie blog series just keeps going and going...

I found this ad accidentally during some recent research.

Back here, I posted a photo that I took of the old Carlisle Drive-in on Route 20 shortly before it was torn down. The only information I had about it was from a Chronicle-Telegram article from about that time. The C-T noted that the theater opened in 1949.

Well, at least I know when the Carlisle Drive-in opened for the 1955 season: April 9, 1955, the day this ad ran in the Lorain Journal. It's interesting that the Carlisle had a CinemaScope screen.

If anyone remembers going to the Carlisle, be sure to post some memories in the 'comments' section!

This drive-in was too far out in the country (like the ad says) for me to have patronized it. Plus, I'm not even sure the Journal ran very many of their ads.

No comments: