Friday, November 27, 2015

Santa Claus Arrives in Lorain – 1946

I used to think that the immediate shift in seasons from Thanksgiving to Christmas was a modern invention, something that slowly gained in popularity in the 1970s. But then, after I began looking at vintage newspaper microfilm at the library, I realized that this has been going on for a long time.

Here’s some proof of that. Above is the full-page ad that ran in the Lorain Journal on Tuesday, November 26, 1946 – 69 years ago – announcing the kickoff to the city’s Christmas celebration.

The ad charmingly provides a window to the Downtown Lorain of the mid-1940s.

Happily, the Lorain Growth Corporation has been working hard trying to make new holiday memories that people will reminisce about someday, with the 2015 Light Up Lorain Waterfront Winterfest. The agenda is pretty impressive.

The fun begins on Saturday, November 28, 2015 with the big parade at 4:30. Both Saturday and Sunday are crammed with a lot of fun – fireworks, skating, ice sculpture, horse drawn carriage rides, the annual lights at Lakeview Park, a Singing Angels concert, a big brass swing band, and much more.

Here’s the link to the official website that has the schedule and all the details.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was looking at pictures from the 40s of Macy's the day after Thanksgiving and the crowds waiting to get in are just as bad as nowadays, stampede looking.

Anonymous said...

Love to see pics of macys in 40s.maybe the above can post? Please!!

Wireless.Phil said...

Went down on Broadway with mom to see Santa and the rain dear some time in the 59s.
As I staired into the rain dear's eyes, that SOB kicked me under the chin and knocked me on my butt.
Freaked my mom out, but I didn't even cry.