Monday, April 5, 2010

Dog 'n Suds is now open, you lucky dog!


They say that every dog has his day. And for Rover, the Dog 'n Suds mascot, that day is today. Because today, the Dog 'n Suds on North Ridge Road opens for the season! I'm not sure what ever happened with the plan to sell the drive-in to one of the employees, but if I find out anything I'll be sure to post it here. I'm just glad that the Lorain County favorite has opened for another season.

Dog 'n Suds was one of my favorite blog subjects last year. I first mentioned it here, and then went on about it for several days, before eating there and posting this. (If you want to read them all, you can always type in Dog 'n Suds in the Search box at the top of this page and then click on the small magnifying glass icon. Then, any and all blog entries from the archives that include those words will be collected on one page for you to read. Of course, that works with any topic you're interested in on this blog, such as Yala's Pizza, Willow Hardware, etc. Try it!)

Anyway, the picture above is of a promotional record album that Dog 'n Suds issued around 1969. As you can see, the company was tinkering with the design of Rover, making him sort of a wacky clown chef instead of a uniformed car hop. (See closeup at left.) 

That sort of makeover shouldn't happen to a dog!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that place. I also enjoyed the old A&W root beer stand out towards Vermilion. Every time I drink and A&W root beer (and yes, I have an A&W root beer glass mug I chill before partaking my refreshment) it takes me right back there. Waiting for the waitress to hook that tray to our car window!!

Hoy hoy,
Jeff Rash

Dan Brady said...

Hi Jeff,

My parents were partial to the A&W out in Vermilion (remember the high-tech speaker system to place your order?) I don't remember ever going to Dog 'n Suds as a kid, although I do remember riding my bike there when I was in high school! I wonder if the carhop hung the tray on our handlebars?

A&W would make a good blog topic--thanks!

Bob Corpus said...

I have a copy of this vinyl album (in good condition). Do you think it's worth anything?

Dan Brady said...

There doesn’t seem to be any albums on eBay right now, which makes me think that it’s somewhat rare. If you are thinking of selling it, you might post a photo of it on one of the many Dog ’n Suds Facebook pages to see if there is any interest. With collectors you never know.

I remember seeing the ad for it in Life Magazine, but being disappointed that Rover was in a clown suit instead of his fancy waiter garb.