Friday, April 3, 2009

Before Mutt & Jeff's...

Last weekend my wife and I enjoyed some terrific burgers and great service at Mutt & Jeff's at 3700 Oberlin Avenue in Lorain. It got me thinking back to when it was still the Sherwood Inn. (I believe it became Mutt & Jeff's in 1984.)
As a kid, I always liked the Sherwood Inn sign and ads with the Robin Hood character. It made me think that inside were all these huge oak barrels of ale, and that it would seem perfectly natural for Friar Tuck to be sitting at the bar.
Here's an ad for the Sherwood Inn from 1973 (at right).

2 comments:

scott bakalar said...

I'm thinking that the sign on the Men's room was "Friar Tuck's" and the Women's "Maid Marion's". As a young kid - I actually thought it was a cool place. I'm inclined to think, however, that the adults thought it was much cooler.

Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio said...

Wasn't this also the old Airport Tavern?