Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Stop 250 in Ashland, Ohio

Yesterday's post about the Love's Travel Stop got me thinking about another truckstop that over the years became sort of a landmark for me: Stop 250, located on U.S. Route 250 in Ashland, Ohio near the entrance ramp to I-71.

Stop 250 appears to have been built by Sohio around 1963, according to some online sources. 

Courtesy Casey Cleavenger

Many people in the Ashland area have extremely fond memories of the restaurant, which was a popular late night gathering place that was not limited to truckers. Others had a family member who worked as a waitress there.

Here's a vintage postcard that may very well have received its stains in the restaurant.

Judging from the copy on the back of the postcard, Stop 250 had everything a trucker could possibly want: a beautiful restaurant serving excellent food; truck islands with high speed ticker-printer pumps, air and water; roomy, air-conditioned sleeping quarters; ceramic tile shower facilities; a Trucker's Lounge; 24-Hour Emergency Road Service; "Drive Through" service bays; Experienced mechanics on hand 24 hours a day; 4 acres of parking space; Liquid propane gas; Tire bank available; Western Union Telegraph service; a full line of accessories.

It's interesting how the building was positioned on the property. As you can see from these two aerial photos from Dennis Thompson's Vintage Aerial website, the 'Stop 250' signage was on both sides of the building – ideal for attracting the attention of truckers and travelers getting off at that exit, as well as U.S. Route 250 traffic.
1971
1982
For me, seeing Stop 250 in the morning meant that I was heading to Columbus, because that was where my family always got on I-71 South.
Countless trips to Ohio State from 1977 to 1981 meant that I got very used to seeing it both coming and going. On the return trip from Columbus, Stop 250 was the landmark telling me that home was just an hour away.
Unfortunately, times change and Stop 250 was eventually replaced by a newer building. I guess truckers didn't need showers with ceramic tile or air-conditioned sleeping quarters any more.
Sadly, I don't anyone is going to wax nostalgic someday about a family member working at Popeye's or Starbucks Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment