Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Andy's Hardware Grand Opening Ads of the 1950s

Courtesy Lorain Historical Society
Mention Andy's Hardware to someone who grew up in Lorain in the era from the 1950s to the 1980s, and they're sure to smile at the memories that it conjures up. Who didn't go in there at some point, seeking some hard-to-find-item and it turned out that, sure enough, Andy had it?

I was one of those that for some time thought that 'Andy' was his first name. But it turns out that his real name was Edward Andy. 

While looking through old Lorain Journals from August 1956, I found what I thought for sure was the Grand Opening ad for his store. But further digging revealed that there was another Grand Opening ad from earlier that year. And another Grand Opening ad a year later when he apparently did some remodeling.

Here then are an ample sample of 1950s store ads, beginning with what I believe is the first one.

Feb. 29, 1956
June 27, 1956
August 8, 1956
With two different Grand Opening dates in 1956, it's not surprising that the Anniversary Sale in 1957 would be held in a different month than either of them.
May 7, 1957
July 4, 1957
The store closed in the early 1990s and the building was eventually demolished. It was like losing an old friend. 

Andy's Hardware, Willow Hardware, Whalen Drug, Selenti's Pizza, DiSimones, Steve's Shoe Repair... all fading Oberlin Avenue memories for those of us who grew in Lorain in the 1960s and 70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment