Friday, July 31, 2026

July 23, 1966 – Journal TV Grids and Fred Flintstone

We watched a lot of cartoons in the Brady house back when I was a kid. Some of my earliest memories are watching the syndicated shows that came on right after dinner (like Huckleberry Hound, The Yogi Bear Show, etc.) as well as the network shows that were shown in the evening (like The Bugs Bunny Show, Jonny Quest, and Top Cat. I'm sure we watched The Flintstones, because I knew who they were and we had all the toys, including the Marx Flintstone Playset, the large vinyl figurines by Knickerbocker and those great big Flintstone Checkers.

By 1966, however, the Flintstones were just ending their original network run. But that didn't stop Hanna-Barbara from featuring them in their own full-length movie for the theaters. Since spies like James Bond, Matt Helm and Flint were big box office successes, Fred Flintstone was pressed into service as an amateur spy in The Man Called Flintstone. The upcoming movie was even the subject of an article on the Journal TV page of July 23, 1966. I like how Fred is treated as a real, live human being that happens to be starring in a movie.

We didn't go see The Man Called Flintstone in the theaters. While we loved the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoons, we were more of a Disney family when it came to big screen animated movies. My siblings and I eventually saw The Man Called Flintstone when it appeared on TV a year or two later. I remember being disappointed – too much singing and romantic misunderstanding and not enough of the usual Fred and Barney antics.

It's interesting looking at the way the movie was promoted. In the United States market, the ads featured Fred in his spy get up and the two femme fatales from the movie.
But an Australian movie poster is comically different. 
Fred looks pretty happy and why not? The cave women in the ad look less like Bedrock housewives and more like showgirls from Rock Vegas. And I won't even get into the ad's Freudian implications.
Anyways, if you're not all that interested in Fred Flintstone, it's always fun to check out the TV grids. Hey, Maverick reruns were being shown on Channel 3 on Saturday night at dinnertime!

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, I had that playset! Haven't seen or thought about in a long while. I got in trouble w my dad as instead of putting it away in the box, I shoved it all under my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We weren't a big Flintstone family. I've probably mentioned this somewhere before, but Dad had a loud-mouthed boss who reminded him of Fred (or vice-versa).

    ReplyDelete
  3. About 1961-62, our neighbors had an adult Halloween party. My dad and another neighbor made a Flintstone auto with two big lawn rollers, a wood frame, etc and my mom and dad dressed as Fred and Wilma, the neighbors - Barney and Betty. They rolled the Flintstone-mobile to the party and we kids played on it for a few days afterward. It wasn’t a great leap for my chubby dad to play Fred - the neighbors were already used to him bellowing my mother’s name, in the same tone as “Wiiiilmaaaaa!’

    ReplyDelete