Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Lorain Public Library Book Sale

The Friends of the Lorain Public Library held its most recent Book Sale a few weeks ago.

The Sales are always an interesting affair. On Members Night (usually a Thursday), the Sale is only open to members of the Friends, who get first dibs at the latest offerings, which are both from the library's shelves, as well as donated. At zero hour when the Sale opens, it's a veritable feeding frenzy – similar to what you see when tossing snacks to hungry carp in a pond at a tourist trap. The leftovers are then offered to the public on the first day of the regular Sale.
It's hard to understand why some books end up in the Sale. In the last few years, I've walked away with books that didn't seem to belong there, including a biography of Admiral Ernest J. King; a copy of An Open Book: Coming of Age in the Heartland by Michael Dirda; Lorain city directories; and several books that I have taken out many times in the last five years (which is contrary to the library's notion that only books that are not being taken out end up in the sale). But when I ask the volunteers why certain books are being removed from the library shelves and peddled to the public, they cheerfully maintain their vow of silence. I guess whoever is in charge of the Library collection these days prefers empty book shelves uncluttered by dusty, old volumes.

Anyway, let's look at my book booty from the most recent sale.
I was fairly alarmed to see this copy of Jim Mahony: Mr. Lorain, a collection of oral history interviews conducted by Sheila Ives, M.L.S. between December 1, 1987 and January 10, 1989, in the Book Sale. But apparently the Library still has at least one copy in its collection.
This copy of The Pogo Peek-A-Book from 1955 was a nice find. Unlike the daily comic strip (which I enjoyed, but didn't always understand and almost never found humorous), the stories in it are pretty funny.

I flipped through this copy of Scarne on Cards by John Scarne (copyright 1949) is really interesting. He exposes all of the secrets of how experts cheat at cards. He covers all the games: gin rummy, Black Jack, Faro, Poker and Pinochle. Just reading a few pages of how to tell if cards are marked is pretty fascinating. I figure once I'm done reading it, it's time for a road trip to Las Vegas.
Lastly, and perhaps best of all, is this battered copy of Meet Andy Capp (1963). The paperback is a collection of early comic strips, which are pretty shocking if you're not familiar with the uniquely British character. (He was in the Plain Dealer Sunday comics when I was a kid so I remember him well.)
As the back cover notes, "Readers all over the world are howling over the daily newspaper antics of this raffish nogoodnik from Britain who drinks a lot, gambles a bit, knocks his wife out a bit – and doesn't work – not a bit. Everybody loves him."

It's interesting seeing how Andy Capp looked in his early adventures.
As a bonus, my copy of Meet Andy Capp had a surprise inside: two autographed photos of late night Channel 8 TV hosts Hoolihan and Big Chuck that someone apparently used as bookmarks!
And I've got just the snack to enjoy while perusing Meet Andy Capp.

7 comments:

Don Hilton said...

Andy Capp - a no-account, misanthropic, misogynistic, drunk who abuses his wife.
I mean, really... What's *not* to love?

And...
Now I have the theme song to Big Chuck and Hoolihan stuck in my head all day, along with the opening to Ben Crazy: "Man. Woman. Birth. Death. Infinity. Cha-ching."

At least they weren't selling off any of mine. Yet.

Buster said...

I mostly struck out on these items:

- Never read Andy Capp
- Have no idea who Jim Mahoney was
- Didn't watch Big Chuck and Houlihan
- Don't play cards and have never been in Las Vegas
- Seldom read Pogo, and like Dan, didn't find it funny when I did

I do love book sales, though, even though my tastes are distinctly different from this blog's proprietor!

Dennis Thompson said...

The Lorain library moved their vintage city and county directories to the new Elyria library. When I went to use them the librarian informed me they cannot be copied. WTF? They could always be copied before. They are research books and we often need several pages at once. I highly doubt anyone else is looking through them. Heck I have copied entire sections of rural directories that I need and have not been able to buy online.

I have about 90 volumes in my personal collection of Ohio rural directories. I plan to donate them somewhere and I will specify, "Please copy to you hearts content."

Anonymous said...

That's a cool bonus that you got there with Hoolihan and Big Chucks autograph Dan.Yes,you never know what you'll find at the Lorain Library book sale.They have the best book sale around as their prices are very reasonable and fair.I found a silver certificate $10 dollar bill in a book that I bought a few years back.

Don Hilton said...

I always take my ancient iPad when I visit any library for research so I can take pictures of pages that I'm not allowed to copy.

Dennis:
Your rural directories... Dan and I were recently contacted by a guy named Mike Engle looking for locations of Ohio diners.

https://www.nydiners.com

Do you think the information in what you have might what you have be of any use to him?

Anonymous said...

Mahoney’s Memos was a classic and a must read for all Journal subscribers. I worked with Mr Mahoney during my stint in the 80’s. I always remember his “top of the morning “ greeting each day. Todd

Don Hilton said...

HEY DAN!

I found your cards on eBay...
50 bucks, and unsigned.

You're rich. man....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155202016458?itmmeta=01HZ0W1W1M9045EPFXDB4E7T0G&hash=item2422c2d4ca:g:8M4AAOSwSXNg~fYe&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8CvhP%2B2ZCOMA5GC47Cg48mRM0VITIlehkJUF6xjPIBmol6x0v4O6l7QENZBu0yvmdQoiGN1qYrfL0LYEFJZODOV2byPpw8tTVqxhOap%2F25eLzIpiCtXrCFxeHUBpHIZZLtXM%2B5xIetaPVZBk1Bna7IbC0XPlQzstdKep8hXOkGn%2BYQRAdl3Sib9QTRSNSgpyzPbbzpop19b8QmnnMD0CMwffIEw14Va6%2BjEK3w0i4BLfXOLhw7wTFg8O3LHIx24A7UECM%2Bqd82tdirn7iPG%2BAPyq%2BY0cJj5GxzrcjfZ%2BjnsSPGrwU1xXKO77Z1aSe6PzpA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_LAh5z4Yw