Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Journal Entertainment Page – Jan. 10, 1964

Judging by this page of advertisements from the January 10, 1964 edition of the Journal, there were still a lot of entertainment options to choose from in the Lorain area, even in the mid-1960s. It's a nice glimpse of the city still in its heyday, which many of us Baby Boomers were lucky enough to experience as kids.

It's the dead of winter, so the Mid-America Boat Show was underway in Cleveland. Surprisingly, there's a big headliner: legendary trumpeter and performer Louis Armstrong, appearing with his All Stars. I'll bet that was a great show.

Here he is on the Ed Sullivan show in October 1964 performing his big hit, "Hello, Dolly!"

Now back to the Entertainment page.

If nightclubbing was your taste, there was the 'new' Elberta Inn, Colony Bar, Lincoln Park, and Dewey Road Inn. For teens, there was The Note out in Ruggles Beach and roller skating at Lorain Arena.

There are a few clubs that I've never heard of: Lemon Tree Lounge in Vermilion, Driftwood Nite Club on Elyria Avenue, Shore Bar on North Broadway in Downtown Lorain, and Oasis Club out on E. 28th St. So I guess there's still a few businesses for me to research.

If you were just interested in grub, there was Vians, Manners, and Kenny Kings

And there's also Effy's at 1869 E. 28th Street – a drive-in that, coincidentally, someone recently emailed me about.

And note that Ronnie and the Rainbows were appearing at Three Sisters on Broadway at 20th Street.

That's well-known local guitarist and musician Ron Zehel, who's been mentioned on this blog a few times, from performing at the Mary Lee Tucker Show, as well as The Note.

8 comments:

Don Hilton said...

If you were bored it was your own, doggone fault!

Mike M said...

Amazing how many establishments advertised dancing. Is there anywhere local that people go to dance anymore? I bartended at a couple of bars a few years back where the night centered around the DJ up in his big DJ booth spinning the tunes with a good sized dance floor below.

Buster said...

I may be wrong, but I think the only DJs back then were on the radio. Bars and restaurants were more likely to use a combo, such as the "ever-popular Gene Krugman and the Dukes" at the Lemon Tree Lounge.

Anonymous said...

They were officially and are still called "Club DJ" at bars or clubs and music venues.And some Club DJs invented the "beatmatch" where they played one song and it would seamlessly morph into another song.So it's like one big song playing all night long.Although with the rise of digital media the term DJ is obsolete today.

Anonymous said...

I would take a few of those 10 for $1.00 grab bags of 45 RPM records.There had to be a few hits thrown in there.

Buster said...

Woolworth's was a great place to find cut-out discs. When I was very young, there would be a bin of 78s and 45s available very cheap. (Probably old juke box items.) My mom would let me "pick out one or two." Seventy years later I am still picking out one or two whenever I get near a pile of records.

Buster said...

I would be leery of the grab bags, though. I suspect they would put some relatively palatable records on top of rejects by Eddie Anonymous and His Harmony School Dropouts.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see my father’s name in the WWIZ lineup. I think their studio was above the Palace. Todd