Monday, October 30, 2023

Gray Drug & Woolworth Halloween Ads – October 1973

How do you know when you're too old to go trick or treating?

I've mentioned before how I knew when it was my last Halloween. I'd been accompanying my younger brother door to door, and we had covered a lot of turf. After hitting all the houses on Skyline Drive, we had greedily worked our way up Palm Springs Drive near Masson School. There was still a little time left, and we didn't want to waste it.

I still remember the house to this day. The homeowner took a look at me, made up like a hobo with a burnt cork Hanna-Barbara five o'clock shadow. He sneered, "Aren't you a little old to be trick or treating?" I felt like crawling into a hole. 

So by the time Halloween 1973 rolled around, my trick or treating days were over. That's why I don't particularly remember any of the costumes shown in the ad for Gray Drug above, which appeared in the Journal on October 18, 1973.

Here's a closer look.

Several Hanna-Barbara characters are front and center in the ad, including Jane Jetson, Jonny Quest, Jinks the Cat and Dum Dum, the canine sidekick of Touché Turtle. It's odd to see Jinks in there, seeing as he was the 'oldest' HB character in the bunch, with no new Jinks vs meeses cartoons made since the early 1960s.

As for photos of the costumes, the great plaidstallions.com 1970s website corn-veniently posted images of a brochure that includes just about all of them – saving me time trying to scrounge them up one at a time!

As the plaidstallions.com website notes, the 'Speed Bird" is pretty much a ripoff of the Roadrunner, right down to the Beep Beep lettering on the front of the costume!

I did find the Jonny Quest mask online. He looks like he's been gobbing on the lipstick!
Here's another advertisement from Halloween 1973 highlighting costumes. This one's for Woolworth, and it ran in the Journal on October 24, 1973.

It's an odd assortment: generic Halloween characters (a ghost, a devil, a witch); and well-known licensed characters (Fred Flintstone, Batman, Spider-Man and Scooby-Doo). One of the Groovie Goolies is there (Frankie) and there's also comic film actor Charlie Chaplin, an unusual choice since he was in his mid-80s at that point.
And here are the photos of some of the costumes culled mainly from eBay. Somehow these managed to escape the garbage can over the last fifty years.
Here's the generic Woolworth ghost. Casper he ain't.
And here's Fred Flintstone – who looks like he's been clobbered by a club-wielding Bamm Bamm Rubble.
Here's the aforementioned Frankie, one of the Groovie Goolies, a good example of cartoon drac dreck from Filmation Studios.
Here's Scooby-Doo – the ever-popular Hanna-Barbara hound, who was in his original heyday in the early 1970s. Hey, he kind of looks like the much-hated puppy Scrappy-Doo.
Lastly, here's Spider-Man. The off-model illustration of the costume in the ad doesn't exactly make my Spidey sense tingle. But in fairness to the artist, he might have been confused with the nostril holes and mouth slit on the mask.




4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Personally, I dug the Groovie Goolies, even though Filmation's animation left a lot to be desired.

https://youtu.be/96ODmKh7TJ8?feature=shared

Buster said...

I note that one of "Gray's Special Treats" is Permanent Anti-Freeze. What child wouldn't want that in their Halloween haul?

Anonymous said...

I went trick or treating when I was around 30 years old with my niece one time.As a smaller person I could very easily slip in with the kiddies.I had on a full Jack-O-Lantern mask from Halloween III covering my entire head.It let me relive my childhood years if at least for a little while.

Don Hilton said...

Oh, those plastic masks...

I can still hear my voice, echoing in my ears.
And re-breathing my own air.

We stopped trick-or-treating when we turned 13.
Per Dad: "That's for kids and you're not a kid anymore."

The best stop was the local dentist's house.
He always gave out the best, gooiest, stickiest, sweetest stuff!