Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Sunnyside Golf Driving Range

Back when I was learning the game of golf, I used to supplement my lessons at Bob-O-Link Golf Course in Avon with stops at various driving ranges. It was kind of fun to hit a bucket of balls on the way home from work – even when the ball sometimes ricocheted around the small stall from where I was driving.

Back then, the driving ranges seemed to be all over the place. I remember one across from the Aqua Marine bowling alley; one on the west side of Abbe Road south of State Route 254; The Range at Avon on Route 83 where the huge shopping center is now near Chester Road; Hillcrest Golf Range in Westlake on Detroit Road; and many more. The aforementioned ones are all gone; the land they were on was too valuable to be used by golfers to practice driving. (I did a post on disappearing golf ranges back here in 2019.)

Add to the list of long-gone driving ranges one that was located in Vermilion: Sunnyside Golf Driving Range. It was located right on U.S. Route 6, just east of Sunnyside Road.

Here's a sampling of ads from over the years. The earliest I could find was from 1950.

From the July 28, 1950 Lorain Journal

Here's the 1952 version of the ad (below). A 1952 aerial from the HistoricAerials.com website is right below it, showing the location of the range. It's strange to see nothing in that area (which today is home to the Vermilion Farm Market) but the driving range.

From the May 9, 1952 Lorain Journal
Here's the 1953 ad.
From the April 22, 1953 Lorain Journal
Here's an ad from the mid-1960s. By then it was Jonick's Sunnyside Golf Driving Range.

From the April 16, 1965 Journal
And here's a 1969 aerial, courtesy of the HistoricAerials.com website.


By the 1970s, it appears that advertising for the golf range was scaled back, limited to a classified ad listing.
From the May 29, 1975 Journal
I'm not sure, but perhaps it was because the driving range wasn't as an important part of the property any more. The Jonick trucking business had started there in the late 1960s, and the tavern even earlier (dating back to the early 1960s).
An ad for the Jonick tavern from the Journal of October 17, 1975

By the way, the name 'Jonick' came from the first names of Jo and Nick Morog, who owned the tavern. Their son William began the trucking business in 1968.

7 comments:

Don Hilton said...

It always cracks me up when I see adverts where golfers are smiling 'cause, mostly, golf makes people angry.

Buster said...

I've never played golf. Is it advisable to swing a driver while smoking a pipe, a la the fellow in the 1953 ad?

Don said...

Buster:

It could be done, yes.

Here's a link to Sam Snead's swing in slo-mo for you to copy/paste. He was a great golfer of the era that many tried to emulate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlApvUmIbw

Hope you like island music!

Buster said...

Thanks, Don - looks like you have to hold your head still to be as successful as Sam, or smoke a pipe while playing a round. I would set myself on fire.

Anonymous said...

I never got into golf.I always thought of what a waist of life it is to chase a little ball around a hill or flat piece of land on a nice sunny day.Going from this hole to that hole.But I did like watching The Three Stooges playing golf in their 1935 short,Three Little Beers.

Dave Beko said...

I enjoyed golf much more once I quit taking it seriously. Now I use it as a way to enjoy a nice day, have a few beers, and bs with my buddies. If I shoot under 90, that's a bonus!

Anonymous said...

I went to Jonick's to hit balls with my Uncle as a kid (late 60's) and remember not having my clubs but they had a rack of old beat up drivers with metal heads you could use. I knew just enough about clubs that drives were supposed to be made of wood not metal, fast forward 30 years and boy was I wrong! Todd