Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Three Old Lorain Schools Close – June 1972

Yesterday's post was about beginnings – namely, the first class to graduate from Admiral King High School, back in June of 1962 (sixty years ago this month).

Today's blog is about endings – three Lorain elementary schools that were closing forever in June 1972. They were St. Joseph School (which opened in 1895); Harrison School (opened in 1904); and Oakwood School (opened in 1905).

The articles below appeared in the Lorain Journal on June 9, 1972. It's commendable that the newspaper realized that something important was happening, and covered the stories very well. Schools are a big part of everyone's life; they help make you who you are as an adult. When they are closed and/or demolished (something Lorain is very good at), part of you is lost.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget about high school....Let's cut class today and go to Arthur Teachers Fish and Chips.....I still get all teary eyed when I see that one on 21st St all abandoned and boarded up.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

My brother Mike went to Harrison for fourth and fifth grade, and my youngest brother Phil went there after it became the Headstart facility. The Principal at Oakwood, Mr. Gidich, was Principal at Boone when I was there; he later was Principal at Palm Avenue. I'm with Anonymous; Arthur Treachery's sounds smashing!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

"Treacher's" (stupid PHONE!)

Anonymous said...

Anyone know exactly where these schools were located? I assume Oakwood school was near Oakwood park, but I don't recall ever hearing of St. Joes or Harrison schools.

Dennis Thompson said...

Harrison is still in use and looking good today. It's on Hamilton Ave at 19th St. It is now a cultural center.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Ludlow was my first grade teacher and she was the best. I attended Harrison Kindergarten through 2nd grade '64 - '66. We all received a great foundation for our just beginning education. Whenever I'm back in Lorain I try and take a drive past. It's amazing that it's still standing...I can picture myself standing in line waiting for the front doors to open so that we could to enter. I still remember the layout with the kindergarten room and restrooms in the basement (past the scary boiler) and 1st and 2nd on the main floor. No cafeteria...we walked home for lunch everyday. I also remember buying stamps for war bonds at school. Feel kinda of sorry for what schools have become now and for the students that attend. I seriously doubt there will be teachers like Mrs. Ludlow again.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Phil had Mrs. Ludlow, as I recall.