Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Lorain Community Hospital Groundbreaking – May 1962

Vintage postcard of Lorain Community Hospital
Sixty years ago this month, the groundbreaking ceremony for Lorain Community Hospital took place. Above is the front page of the May 9, 1962 Journal with the story.

It's kind of nice seeing former Mayor John C. Jaworski and current Mayor Woodrow Mathna doing the honors with the shovels. Nowadays, you don't always see that acknowledgment that major projects span through different administrations – of different political parties. 

Anyway, who could have known that what we would have considered to be Lorain's 'other' hospital would some day be the only hospital in town after the merger with St. Joe's. 

And we're lucky to have it.

****

Click here to visit my other post about Lorain Community with an aerial 'then and now.'

2 comments:

Rae said...

I tell people I was born at St Joe's and raised at Lorain Community. My Mom worked in X ray at St Joes until she had me, then from the day LCH opened until July of 1990. On Saturdays when she didn't have a sitter but, had to work a half day. I was in the doctor's lounge reading or in the dark room w trying to see anything w that red light. I graduated LHS on a Wednesday and I started at LCH as a unit clerk the following Monday.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I was never a patient at LCH, although I had family and friends who were; I even helped a (sorta) girlfriend escape from a guarded ward there in 1975; don't ask.