Wednesday, April 13, 2022

The Candy Shop Easter Ads – 1972 & 1973

Easter is only a few days away. Have you bought your candy yet?

I’ve been buying Easter candy at Discount Drug Mart for weeks. “These will never make it to Easter,” I confide to the checkout cashier as she rings up my low-grade Palmer Bunny Crisps. Same thing with the Peeps Party Cake Flavored Marshmallow Chicks – they’re marshmallow history now.

Anyway, while everyone in Lorain remembers Faroh’s, over in Vermilion, The Candy Shop in the South Shore Shopping Center was the go-to candy store for many years. Here’s a vintage ad from fifty years ago. It ran in the Journal on March 28, 1972.

And here's the 1973 version announcing the store's move.

From the Journal of April 5, 1973
Click here to read my post from 2019 that tells the history of the well-remembered store.

****
As I write this on Wednesday night, my iMac (that is thirteen years old – a teenager) has gone black four times without warning or explanation. I’m not sure if I will be able to continue to post while I prepare to migrate everything to a new computer, so if this is the last post that is up for a few days or weeks, you’ll know why!

2 comments:

Harold Moss said...

When I was growing up in Vermilion in the '70s my mom would go to Faroh's when she wanted to buy "good" candy for special occasions. It was always a treat when that happened. My wife and I have continued that tradition in Memphis as we buy our "good" candy for special occasions at a family owned candy store that has been in business for more than 100 years, Dinstuhl's. While candy from a fine candy store may cost a little more, it is definitely worth it.
Happy Easter to everyone.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Harold,
I agree. Russell Stover Candies are very good, but it’s great to have a family-run local candy store to support – which reminds me that I need to stop at Brummer’s Chocolates soon!