Friday, February 18, 2022

WOBL Ad – Feb. 18, 1972

I’ve spent a lot of time in Oberlin on a regular basis lately, and for no special reason other than that, I’ve started listening to WOBL, Gold Country AM 1320.

It’s fun to listen to the country music classics while traveling. The music is timeless, and you can easily get wrapped up in a tune and forget that it’s the year 2022. Plus it’s nice to have actually heard of the artists and recognize a few tunes here and there. 

The DJs are great too, enhancing the listeners’ enjoyment of the music. I also like to hear radio ads for businesses like Fligner’s and Grobe Fruit Farm, places that I actually patronize.

I did a post last month featuring an early WOBL ad in honor of the station’s 50th anniversary. Well, here’s another one. It ran in the Journal back on February 18, 1972 – 50 years ago today.

It’s kind of nice to see an ad for a radio station with an illustration being the main component. It makes the personality of the station seem a little more personal and less ’slick.” It kind of reminds me of those old WMMS ads with the “Magic Mushroom” graphic that predated the Buzzard era.


No comments: