Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Stoney’s Rainbow Lanes Formal Opening – August 24, 1951

Although I was aware that it was out there on Oberlin Road, south of Elyria, I don’t remember ever bowling at Stoney’s Rainbow Lanes. It was just too far away, compared to driving to Avon Lake or Vermilion.

But perhaps some of this blog’s readers remember Stoney’s Rainbow Lanes, and might enjoy seeing the full-page ad for its formal opening, shown above. The ad ran in the Lorain Journal on August 24, 1951 – 70 years ago.

The ad lists Mr. M. Stone and Mrs. A. Stone as the proprietors of the business, which boasted 12 Brunswick deluxe alleys, as well as a lounge room and cocktail bar.

I’m not sure when the bowling alley closed, but I found online mentions of it on the C-T sports page as late as 2008. The building is still out there on Oberlin Road. (See comments below.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That building is no longer there Dan.It was torn down after a recent fire.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the update – I appreciate it. I almost drove out there late Sunday afternoon to check but decided against it. I vaguely remembered a fire last year but thought that only part of the building was demolished. But I did drive out there today, and like you said, it’s all gone.

Aaron said...

My parents used to bowl league years ago. I vaguely remember Stoney's. From what I can see on the internet the old school 10 lane alley at Abbe and Taylor in Elyria is still open. I bowled there about 10 years ago, definitely a throwback with the balls visible rolling back to you instead of under the floor.

Anonymous said...

I owned it for the last ten years it was open. The business next door bought it and the land to use for his plastic mold manufacturing company and to park his semis. That was in 2015. After the sale there was a cpl fires and it was demolished a cpl years ago. The only center in Elyria now is cookies 10 pin lanes (former Sams lanes ) they are as I type installing new scoring machines and underground ball returns.

Anonymous said...

Do you happen to have a picture of Stoneys from the 70s ?

Dan Brady said...

Unfortunately, I have no photo archives---but I will keep my eyes peeled for an old ad or article that might have a photo.