Monday, May 24, 2021

Campito Article – August 15, 1966

A few days ago, longtime blog contributor Alan Hopewell mentioned in a comment that he had lived in Campito from 1971 to 1976.

That reminded me that I had this article about Campito in my files, which I figured I might as well post for those of you not familiar with that area. The article by Ron Porambo appeared in the Lorain Journal on August 15, 1966 and details the problems in the area at that time.

As the article notes, ""Campito” is a name thought up by people living on the outside or by a Spanish-speaking minority on the inside. The only real name for a place comes from the people who live and sweat there and these know it only as “the other side of 36th Street.” Some of these live in the dark, the “night people, and they know it as “when you cross 36th Street, you’ve got a good chance of making it.” The 17 square blocks across 36th Street sit alongside Lorain and there isn’t any wall to stop a spreading disease, hustlers, marijuana cigarettes, bootleg whiskey, or men who carry guns and all these things can come and go into the city every day and it’s time to think of it that way.”

I remember driving around that area, probably in the late 1970s, and being somewhat shocked by the appearance of some of the homes, which appeared to be only a little better structurally than packing crates. But a quick ‘Google Maps’ cruise around the neighborhood today shows nice homes and roads that are in better shape than the ones on the west side of Lorain where I grew up.

Here is the article.

14 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I didn't live in Campito in '66, but it sounds like the Journal went with the sensational,as usual.I knew most of the people mentioned in the article, and interviews with them would have been nice, to balance out the scare-fare from the Sheriff of Nottingham.
Six years after this article, Campito and its residents were still being treated like the monster in the closet by the city and the county.It wasn't a jungle,or a war zone, but a neighborhood, with decent people.

Dan Brady said...

That’s unfortunate if the article paints an overly bad picture. It probably reflects the general overreaction of the times to anything at odds with the establishment.

The same area actually looks pretty cozy today, kind of out in the country and private, going by my Google Maps ‘drive.’

Death said...

That article was definitely dramatic. Situations, like poor septic systems and (the persistent problem) of poor roads and negligent school officials could have been addressed more clearly. He tried to treat it like a literary piece. :).
I believe I knew Curtis Nelson after he retired. If it’s the same
Man, I was glad to have known him.
Thank for sharing this article, it shows a lot about the time period- even if it’s inaccurate like Mr Hopewell says. We all know the city wasn’t some city on a hill as it’s portrayed.

Death said...

^^ I’m Amy. I need to edit my blogger account. 😂

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Hello, Amy!

Anonymous said...

That area always reminded me of Clevelands famous Kingsbury Run.Where the "Torso Murderer" of the 1930s killed and dismembered about a dozen people.They never did catch the killer.Elliot Ness was even brought in but he couldn't solve the killings.Were there ever any murders in "Campito" like in the 1930s in Kingsbury Run?

LHS Blazer Man said...

I remember a neighborhood near the western end of the steel mill where the paved street suddenly became a dirt road. As I recall, it was around Elyria Avenue east of Broadway. It may have been an unincorporated section surrounded and neglected by Lorain.

Dan, is that the area called "Campito?"

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Sounds like it.

Dan Brady said...

No, the area has E. 36th Street (and its ditch) as the northern border, Dunton Avenue as its eastern border more or less and Elyria Avenue as its western border (but only for a short distance). The streets (running north and south) include Denver Avenue, Toledo Avenue, Clifton Avenue, Canton Avenue, Omaha Avenue, and Dallas Avenue. It’s very unique, it’s kind of a no-man’s land; not really in South Lorain, more of a gateway neighborhood to me. I first encountered the southern part of it by driving onto Dewitt St. from Elyria Avenue years ago and seeing these tiny shacks.

Anyone who feels free can correct me if I am not quite right about this.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I think you have it right, Dan.

Sally Van Nuys said...

Dan, since all the kids living in Campito were students at Clearview schools, I think it’s safe to say that Campito was (is) part of Sheffield Township. I had many friends who lived on those streets in the 60s and 70s. I would t have ever called it a “no-man’s land” but a neighborhood of good and decent people who deserved more than they got!

Sally Van Nuys said...

Please,delete my previous (and this) comment. Sorry.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Why, Sally? I'd say you have it right.

Anonymous said...

I knew Campitos from my ex who went to Southview. We actually drove in there in the early 80s a couple times to visit one of his friends who had moved in with his girlfriend who got pregnant young and was kicked out of her parents' home. It didn't seem dangerous really, but was shockingly poor. I remember the house they were living in was the size of a garden shed, with just a door and maybe one window that I saw. So dark and dreary, and many of the homes were boarded up. The word Campitos means "little fields," so I wonder where that came from? Possibly another area where early imported steel mill workers were housed, like the little homes that used to be along 29th st? Not sure, just theorizing. It looked like it could have been a cute area at one time when the little homes were first built.