Monday, February 22, 2021

Green Acres Home – Feb. 3, 1971

Mention the phrase 'Green Acres' to any Baby Boomer, and they would probably think of the 1960s rural comedy featuring Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor as the city couple that moved to a farm in Hooterville (where they encounter an endless parade of goofy locals). 

But did you know that 'Green Acres' was also the name of the Lorain County children’s home?

According to a history page on www.childrenservices.org, “In 1898, the voters approved a measure authorizing the Commissioners to build a children’s home.

“The Commissioners purchased 15 acres (at the corner of Oberlin Rd. and E. College St.) for $3675, and the Green Acres Children’s Home was built at a total cost of $32,500.

“Three siblings, ages 6, 8, and 12, were the first children placed there on August 4, 1900. 445 children had been admitted in the first 10 years. 411 of them were subsequently placed elsewhere. Family breakdown was the main reason for placements. A few were orphans, but most were placed due to "drunkenness or infidelity” of parents. The original Children’s Home was capable of housing 65 children at any given time, and during World War II there were as many as 100 housed at a time. The garden, poultry, and fruit trees were depended upon to help feed the children, and the children provided much of the labor to keep them going, and heating fuel was provided by two gas wells on the property.

“In 1969, with a campaign of “Once in 70 Years” the voters approved a special levy to replace the old Green Acres Children’s Home with a modern one."

The article at the top of this post, which appeared in the Journal on Feb. 3, 1971, notes that the new children’s home would provide 18 additional beds for children between the age of 6 and 18. 

It’s interesting to see an actual photo of the original Green Acres Children’s Home after hearing about it for so long.

****

By the 1990s, it was no longer cost-effective to operate Green Acres, and according to www.childrenservices.org, the facility was becoming too impersonal and lacking in the home atmosphere that children need. The facility closed in 1995 and was returned to the County Commissioners.

The city of Oberlin acquired the former Green Acres Children’s Home site in 2011 and contracted for the demolition of the buildings in order to redevelop the property.

18 comments:

Mike M said...

Welcome back Dan.

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Hope everything went well. I remember passing Green Acres on our way to Oberlin, and wondering what it was like to live there.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the welcome back and other good wishes left on the previous post. The situation has improved, hope to get back to normal here!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Dan - my coffee tasted better this morning thanks to you! Todd

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Todd!

Mark said...

Welcome back!!!

Buster said...

Hi, Dan - Belated welcome back!

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Buster!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I was So happy to see this today! I’ve been enjoying some past posts.
Amy

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Amy! I appreciate it!

Unknown said...

I will never forget this hell hole were are my records thede house parents beat.the living hell out of us

Anonymous said...

I was here for almost a yr. My brother died and neither of my parents wanted me and my other brother! I hated there! I liked a few house parents but others I avoided! I honestly felt like I was in prison!

Anonymous said...

It was like prison we were locked in dorms. No privacy 3-4 kids in a room sometimes more. Definitely not a place to be like the tv show

Anonymous said...

I live at green achers from 1963 to 1969
With 6 of my siblings...we were all treated with care. We did have some house parents that were abusive.but they were put out by Director Keplinger.we were fed and clothed housed and educated. My whole life changed because of this place.

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure when you were there but I spent 10 months there in 1974. We were allowed to play outside whenever, got 3 meals, a snack before bed, had field trips and talent contest, skateboarded on the front sidewalks etc.. I cannot remember the married couples names who were house parents but they were great, did I get spanked when I was a little Sh*t yes. I loved hanging out with all the other kids.

Anonymous said...

Nick and Janice were the Parents, just came to me.

Anonymous said...

I was placed in Green Acers Children’s Home in 1963. I was 7 years old. At that time there was 15 boy’s between the ages 13 to 17 on the first floor & 15 boy’s between the ages 7 & 12 on the second floor. If I’m not mistaken I think Denver Keplinger was the director of Green Acers Children’s Home. I don’t remember who the house parents were but they really enjoyed smacking us around. I can go on & on about that place. It was a hell hole & destroyed a lot of young people’s life’s.

Anonymous said...

I was there in 74-75. Nick and Janice were the best thing to happen there. I saw them a few times after I left, but lost track of them. The Nichols were the worst! He was creepy and she beat kids with a race track! We had chores and we received an allowance on Saturday, where we would walk to Ben Franklins and buy penny candy. We had lots of activities and outings. The stigma of living there was hard, as kids at school make fun of us. We made our way and grew thick skin. I think about the kids I spent time with there and hope to maybe to cross paths again.