Monday, January 18, 2021

Cavalier China Ad – January 8, 1971


I’ve mentioned Cavalier China Co. at least once on this blog over the years. 

I don’t remember that we ever shopped at the store, which was located at 4340 Liberty Avenue (U.S. Route 6) in Vermilion. It was one of those things in Vermilion – like the A&W Root Beer stand – that we only saw once in a while. So why do I remember it at all?

The former home of
Cavalier China in Vermilion
Because of the huge sign on the building, which a 1950s stock illustration of a smiling woman’s face, with her hand making a pointing gesture.

I’d sure like to see a photo of that sign just so I can be sure that I didn’t imagine it.

Anyway, above is a store ad, which ran in the Journal on January 8, 1971. It has a stock illustration, but the drawing of the woman operating a cash register doesn’t seem to be the same one that I remember from the sign.

Cavalier China had moved to Vermilion in April 1965 from its location in Lorain at 1431 Colorado Avenue.

Click here to revisit my post about the 1970 Vermilion streetscape, with vintage photos of the historic building that would become the home of Cavalier China.

4 comments:

Buster said...

Their dinnerware was awfully inexpensive - 32 pieces for $4.78?

Anonymous said...

That would be $30.55 ,,, today.... Bill N

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan - As a kid I remember being dragged to Cavalier China both on Colorado Ave. and in Vermillion.
That reminds me of another store I was forced to wander around in...and it's out your way, Firelands Country Store on Rt.113. Last time I was back in Lorain we went out to Milan to buy melons and peaches and passed it along the way. It was closed then (probably 10 - 12 yrs ago) I wonder if the nice white building is still there. Todd

Anonymous said...

Anonymous Todd... Firelands Country Store is still there, but only open by appointment. They are on Facebook... Bill N