Friday, July 31, 2020

The Passing Scene – July 22, 1967

Unlike some local libraries, the Lorain Public Library has actually reopened its doors to the public for browsing. So I’m going to have to make it a point to get in there soon and hit the ol’ microfilm again. (My last visit there was in February, before the Coronavirus hit).

Anyway, for those of you that have been missing Gene Patrick's The Passing Scene comics here on the blog, I’ll close out July with one from July 22, 1967 – about two years into the strip’s run. (Click on it for a larger, readable version.)
I don’t know exactly what golf course the last panel is referring to, but it could be Bob-O-Link Golf Course. The proposed golf course in question (according to a later article in the Elyria Chronicle-Telegram on September 19, 1967) required the rezoning of 175 acres between Riegelsberger and Mills Roads in Avon. That’s the location of Bob-O-Link on today’s State Route 83. It opened sometime around 1968.
I took golf lessons at Bob-O-Link in the 1990s, and for a few years, golf was part of my life. I was not so good at driving distance, but had a knack for pitch shots, thanks to much practicing on the huge grassy area by the old Longfellow school. (I lived on Nebraska Avenue and would walk over there with my pitching wedge and a coffee can of balls.) Apparently a lot of other golfers used that same area for practice, because I always came home with more golf balls than I brought.

2 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

I love seeing "The Passing Scene" again, as I looked forward to it when it was in the Journal.
Is LPL requiring masks? Down here (Texas) all stores, restaurants etc. are supposed to require them, but some make it optional, which is cool.

Dan Brady said...

Masks are mandatory up here in Ohio for the most part, unless you’re outdoors and staying far enough part. Some eat-in restaurants even require you wear one until your food arrives, then you are apparently allowed to uncover your pie hole.