Thursday, March 5, 2020

French Creek Reservation Takes Shape – March 1970

Current Map (Courtesy Lorain County Metroparks)
The French Creek Reservation of the Lorain County Metropolitan Park District is one of my favorite parks.

Although I no longer live just a few minutes away from it, I make it a point to walk its wooded trails several times during the year, especially in the fall. The trails are just the right length if you don't have a lot of time to spare. Plus it's especially nice that the Pine Tree Picnic Area hooks up with the French Creek Nature and Arts Center on Colorado Avenue, if you feel like hiking a little farther.
But back in March 1970, French Creek Reservation was still being planned. The article below, which appeared in the Lorain Journal on March 1, 1970 provides some background information as well as a map.

The current layout of the main picnic area doesn't match the 1970 drawing exactly, but it's pretty close. Here are some aerial views, courtesy of Google Maps.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post includes both my Dad and Mom. Maybe I have mentioned this was Shawnee Archery Range 1960's. Visited many times w my Dad. Most of the current trails were trails to shots of different distances, heights,(bunny shot) and terrain. Like a golf course in the woods. I believe there was 28 targets. Strategically arranged so as not shoot one another lol Markers where the men shot from and another for women? Weekend tournaments were held and trophies awarded. Apologies if I am repeating myself. My Mom and I went to the Christian Science Church on Meister previously services were held in the original city hall in Lorain upstairs. I have no doubt my Mother was there to see Mr. Ferris speak. Rae

KenC said...

The Journal article mentions that a road was to be built along an old railroad spur. I remember reading somewhere years ago about a RR being built to Lorain that ran out of money just as it reached (or neared) the town. This happened before Lorain had any RRs so it was quite a letdown for the town. Is there any truth in that and if so, could this be the same RR spur?

Dan Brady said...

Hi Ken,
I’m not sure about the railroad to Lorain that ran out of money, but tomorrow’s post (which I’m just starting to work on) will at least mention the railroad involved here.