Friday, October 25, 2019

Garwell's Sign Lives On

Although the former Garwell's Bait & Tackle store was demolished in September (which I wrote about here), a little bit of the original store lives on at its former location.

The cutout lettering spelling out GARWELL’S above the store entrance did not disappear in a pile of smoking rubble like so much of Old Lorain.

Mary Garwell-Ziegman, whose parents opened the business back in 1950, recently told me that the letters had been repurposed by her husband as a sign on their pole barn, which sits behind where the store used to be.

It’s a nice little homage to her family’s well-remembered business.

The Garwell entrepreneurial sprit lives on as well. As Mary explained to me, "A few weeks ago I signed a lease on a store front in North Ridgeville (near the intersection of Rt. 83 and Center Ridge Rd.). I call it Second Chances Consignment Thrift Shop – where I even offer fishing tackle!”

Mary invites her friends to stop in and visit her at her store if they are ever in the area.

No comments: