Thursday, September 20, 2018

Amber Oaks Review – Sept. 21, 1973

Back in the 60s and 70s, the Journal used to have a great advertising feature that spotlighted local restaurants. It was called the "Golden Crescent Guide to Dining and Dancing.”

It was a clever gimmick. The Guide always featured a positive review of a local restaurant, and included a photo of either the interior or exterior. A current advertisement of the business being reviewed usually appeared below the review.

Anyway, above is the September 21, 1973 edition of the Guide, promoting Sheffield Lake’s well-remembered Amber Oaks (a favorite topic on this blog).

I always liked that sign. Besides the leaf and acorn graphics, the sign – with its neon arrow and various components – seemed to convey that there was a lot going on inside that you didn’t want to miss, especially in the Cocktail Lounge.

It’s also interesting seeing the word ‘Chops’ on a restaurant sign or in an ad. It’s a very old-timey thing that you don’t run into very often, except in old Damon Runyon stories. According to this Wiki entry, the most common meat chops are pork and lamb.

Another one of these Golden Crescent Guides back in 1971 had a photograph of the outside of the restaurant (below).

****
I’m not sure what ever happened with the revival of Amber Oaks. It’s been at least two years since the building was fixed up very nicely.
A recent view of the current sign

6 comments:

1975AKHSGrad said...

I've been following you years and enjoy what you post. I graduated from AKHS in 1975 and remember your family well. I have a question off topic...I am going to France next year and thought I'd see if I could read/talk it still. I am amazed at how much I know and credit it all to Mr. Smith. Do you know what ever happened to him? Do you know what his first name was? He is in the top 5 teachers/professors that I ever had.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the nice comment. I still remember a lot of French too thanks to Mr. Smith, which came in handy since I used to go to Canada quite often. As for Mr. Smith’s first name, I remember his full name was Francis Leighton Smith and that he lived in Amherst near Downtown when he was our teacher. I tried to research him a few years ago but I think he may have moved out of the area. Whitepages.com has a Myrtle Beach address along with the Amherst address.

Wireless.Phil said...

There used to be another bar/restaurant just to the right (west) of Amber Oaks, I remember going there with my parents for fish dinners. For a long time you could still see the old concrete floor remaining. I don't remember what it was called, but the people who bought it, built Amber Oaks.
I'm 67 so it's been awhile, and I don't remember much else about it.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Phil! You can read all about it here:
https://danielebrady.blogspot.com/2015/02/dorothy-and-elmer-tavern-in-sheffield.html

Wireless.Phil said...

Ever figure out why Amber Oaks closed?
Groupon reviews weren't that good, but Amber Oaks may have closed before groupon and the ratings are fake.

Phil

Wireless.Phil said...

My realy old phone cant see recapt.