Friday, August 2, 2013

Demolition Ball to Take Aim at St. Joe's

Well, for all you out of towners (or in case you missed it), it's finally official. Soon the view above will be a thing of the past, and another familiar site in Lorain will meet with the wrecking ball.
The oldest portion of the St. Joseph Community Center – formerly St. Joseph's Hospital – will be torn down along with several other sections of the complex. Up until now, local news reports had been a little vague as to what part of the complex would be torn down.

An article by Evan Goodenow published in the Chronicle-Telegram on Tuesday reported on the plan "to demolish 140,000-square feet of the approximately 300,000-square foot center to reduce cooling and heating costs and attract new tenants."

The C-T article noted that demolition will occur in October or November and be completed by the spring of 2014.

It's interesting to see how much of Lorain has been demolished, is planned to be demolished, or may potentially be demolished.

I think the kids goofed when they picked the Lorain Titans as the new name of the high school sports teams.

The Lorain Wrecking Crew would have been much more appropriate.

4 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

This is sad....why couldn't they have tried to save Lorain's heritage, as opposed to tearing down everything?

Rage said...

Hi Dan, I am working in Lorain through October. During my free time I try to create photo archives of the towns I visit. I try to compile extensive photo archives of every town and donate the completed archive to the local historical societies and libraries for inclusion in their digital archives. I have several thousand photos of Lorain so far. I recently photographed the Stuart mansion at 329 West Ninth Street. I am having a terrible time finding a detailed history of the house. I would love any information you may have. Feel free to call me anytime at 216.272.3794 or email me at OhioVeteran4Peace@yahoo.com. Eric Stamper

Rage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio said...

I am sad to hear this as I was born there as I'm sure so many others who read your blog were. I better take a new picture of it before its too late.