Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Downtown Lorain Then & Now

I saw this postcard on Ebay a few weeks ago, and thought it might be a good subject for a "then and now" shot.

This is the thriving Downtown Lorain of my youth that I remember – a busy place with stores galore, including national chains such as Sears and Woolworths. Off in the distance you can see the iconic B&O dock.

I believe the postcard dates from the 1950s, based on a few of the stores that I know were in business then. (Wish I knew my vintage cars; the one on the left reminds me of my parents' 1958 Savoy.)

And here's the "now" shot from this past Saturday morning. As expected, I had no trouble with cars or pedestrians interfering with my shot.

It's funny how some buildings didn't change one bit and others are completely different. And even though the B&O Dock is gone, you can now see the Lorain Lighthouse – which is a good thing.

It's not a totally depressing scene when you compare it with the vintage postcard, but it's close. Until some of these storefronts get some occupants, it's going to have that ghost town feeling.

2 comments:

Randall Chet said...

Hi Dan - that's a 1957 Dodge followed by a 1960 Pontiac. 57 Dodge's were notorious for rusting away. It probably didn't last 10 years in northern OH.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Randall! That's one way to date a photo--thanks for your help!